Year of Manufacture

My frame number starts GR71F. That's a JDM prefix. I've since found out, these were made (for JDM), under the model name of GSX750R. So, it looks like it's an '85 model. Funny, as the V5C has it as manufactured 1986. Could they have got that wrong???

Edited by Swiss Toni
21 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

It's been in the UK for the last 20 yrs. I'm assuming it would have been restricted for the Japanese home market? I'm also assuming, due to the length of time its been in the UK, someone's already de-restricted it. If not, how would it differ from UK spec? Carbs, ignition ect?

I bought mine as a JDM when it was still on the ship coming over! 

I think from memory the restrictions were as follows:

- Exhaust was restricted in the downpipes (if you have an original just bin it - actually I'll collect it from you cause you're obviously busy)

- Warning light coming on at 50 mph I think it was

As far as I can remember that was it. The odd thing about mine was the chain, it was really cheap and nasty, the links didn't even turn on the pins!

I don't know of any other restrictions

20 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

Exhaust was restricted in the downpipes (if you have an original just bin it - actually I'll collect it from you cause you're obviously busy)

Ah, you're just too late! Crushed it last week ... As if! ;) Actually, it's in not bad fettle. Could do with the dent in the heat shield taken out. The clocks are now UK spec. I'd have thought any restrictions would be in carb size (mine's 29's), or Ignitor box. Bonus if that's all there was. Emailed DVLA this morning. Not expecting much, except that brightly coloured thin stuff, (red tape)!!! :(

10 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Ah, you're just too late! Crushed it last week ... As if! ;) Actually, it's in not bad fettle. Could do with the dent in the heat shield taken out. The clocks are now UK spec. I'd have thought any restrictions would be in carb size (mine's 29's), or Ignitor box. Bonus if that's all there was. Emailed DVLA this morning. Not expecting much, except that brightly coloured thin stuff, (red tape)!!! :(

I can't remember about the carbs, as it is I converted to 1100G with Stage 1 Dynojet - ran like a dream ever since (oh and Dyna coils, the big green ones that were good back in the day).

There may have been a restrictor in the carbs, I honestly can't remember having played with so many from so many different makes of bike,

1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

Well, I'll go through the carbs when I strip them for the 'fizzy bath'. All else, as it comes up. Thanks for the 'heads up'! (y)

Whatever you need shout - mine is all bog standard except the exhaust, carbs and coils.

Let me know what time to call round to collect your exhaust :$

I have a JDM and have just got it running after new rings and   a top end O/H. Chassis number is as yours Tony, GR71F-102266. I've replaced the VM29'S with BST32's and it runs like a top. Had rebuilt the VM29's but didn't run smoothly. As my bike is in a standard configuration although not stock (as noted about carbs) and runs original airbox and filter. I bought an original exhaust header and can but not sure what it's off of so could be UK model or JDM. Can someone tell me more about the JDM exhaust restrictors, was it just a smaller outlet pipe from the cylinder head or an insert to restrict the exhaust header that could be removed?

1 hour ago, billd said:

I have a JDM and have just got it running after new rings and   a top end O/H. Chassis number is as yours Tony, GR71F-102266. I've replaced the VM29'S with BST32's and it runs like a top. Had rebuilt the VM29's but didn't run smoothly. As my bike is in a standard configuration although not stock (as noted about carbs) and runs original airbox and filter. I bought an original exhaust header and can but not sure what it's off of so could be UK model or JDM. Can someone tell me more about the JDM exhaust restrictors, was it just a smaller outlet pipe from the cylinder head or an insert to restrict the exhaust header that could be removed?

I believe the JDM had smaller pipe outlets. I wanted to keep mine but was told in absolute terms by the whole world that i would be on a hiding to nothing 

Out of interest I remember that pipe weighed at least a ton!

Edited by wsn03