Shallow oil filter

badger

Ahoy!
Im after a smaller profile oil filter for my 1100. With the turbo set up we had to modify (twat with a hammer) the oil filter to fit in the waste gate actuator arm (no idea if that's what its actually called but it'll do). It lasted about 15 secs on the road before a hole appeared in it Has anyone used or knows of an filter that just has less depth? I've not got anywhere near by I can go and do a comparison of different ones. 
Cheers guys :D

I'm pretty sure from my research that there isn't a shorter filter with an M20x1.0 thread.

I ended up using a sandwich plate as a take off (for an oil cooler) and modifying the adapter stub female end to fit the M20x1.0 bit sticking out of the engine whilst being M20 x 1.5 on the male end which allowed me to fit a 600 Fazer filter which is a fair bit shorter

You could probably get a new engine stub made with an M20x1.5 thread and just use the fazer filter

There's some info in my thread here -> 

*** Main info is on page 1

Edited by El Gringo
12 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I'm pretty sure from my research that there isn't a shorter filter with an M20x1.0 thread.

I ended up using a sandwich plate as a take off (for an oil cooler) and modifying the adapter stub female end to fit the M20x1.0 bit sticking out of the engine whilst being M20 x 1.5 on the male end which allowed me to fit a 600 Fazer filter which is a fair bit shorter

You could probably get a new engine stub made with an M20x1.5 thread and just use the fazer filter

There's some info in my thread here -> 

*** Main info is on page 1

Will have a read now, sounds perfect! Thank you dude! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Using eyeball measuring the 'el gringo' adapter and short filter don't appear any shorter than a std HiFlo HF138 filter @ 64mm ! ! ! 

This would seem to be a reasonably priced remote filter kit ..... https://www.Eblag.co.uk/i/112553893410?chn=ps

I think he meant I could replace the threaded part in the engine for a different thread output bit from 1 to 1.5 and using the fazer oil filter. Probably my cheapest solution. Nervous of doing any damage taking it though! 

I was just looking at the same remote kit, with hoses and fittings its about £60 I'd need to measure if by the time I get fittings in it I'd still get enough clearance. Thanks dude!

3 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Using eyeball measuring the 'el gringo' adapter and short filter don't appear any shorter than a std HiFlo HF138 filter @ 64mm ! ! ! 

It's not, the sandwich plate was an extra for my oil cooler, which necessitated the shorter filter to fit behind the turbo 

9 minutes ago, badger said:

I think he meant I could replace the threaded part in the engine for a different thread output bit from 1 to 1.5 and using the fazer oil filter. Probably my cheapest solution. Nervous of doing any damage taking it though! 

^This is what i mean't

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, badger said:

I did that on my B12 engine in the GS

12 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Just spin the Turbo round a bit & make a bracket for the actuator.

That would also require re-making all the exhaust pipework - somewhat more involved! A standalone gate may be easier. But if the filter mounting screw can be removed then a re-made adapter with M20 on the engine side and a M16 thread on the filter side to allow a Yamahha thin filter may be the best overall fix?

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

That would also require re-making all the exhaust pipework - somewhat more involved! A standalone gate may be easier. But if the filter mounting screw can be removed then a re-made adapter with M20 on the engine side and a M16 thread on the filter side to allow a Yamahha thin filter may be the best overall fix?

I only need a bit more silicon pipe & a big bracket.

20190426_110241.jpg

20190426_110253.jpg

20190426_110337.jpg

• Like 1

I did look at clocking the turbo but there's no room at the up pipe fitting so a no go. I've bought a stock filter and im going to try and twat in a better way so it clears it better without putting a hole in it. I bought an fzs one too. I'm gonna try and get the stub bit out of another engine and try and get one made to fit. Fingers crossed this'll be enough and not cause any further dramas!!!! Just wanna ride it!

• Like 1