Oil Pumps

VJ

So I'm rebuilding my gsx1100g engine that blew a conrod through the cases. Ive got new cases and crank and am hoping to save as many parts from the dead engine, clutch and gearbox have survived (will get new frictions anyway as they are a bit worn) but im worried about the oil pump.

A LOT of big end journal bearing, piston crown and rings were found in the sump and the oil strainer so I want to take the pump apart and make sure its clean but every OSS manual I've got says is not user serviceable and only available as an assembly. How much of this is bullshit? It cant hurt to pop the covers off and check its clean inside right? also is there any way of checking the output pressure without engine complete and running?

Cheers

John

Looking at the fiche drawings, these pumps 850 / 1000 / 1100 G do look like they are an integral unit - not like the 1150 models which are disassemblable (i've had a couple apart so know they are) The 'G' units may be riveted together and I guess ' no user serviceable parts' denotes no spares available. The two units look dissimilar so no swapping possible!

Testing is usual only with complete motor - pressure isn't high even when healthy - personally if there is evidence swarf has come anywhere near the pump i'd be looking for a good replacement!

The pump looks the same as the powerscreen and the 1127 gsxrs from what I can tell from looking at the manuals.

I guess It is probably safer to try another pump, Might crack this one open anyway though seen as its only 3 bolts either end with locktabs.

edit: Part number for the G is the same as blandit 6, powerscreen, teapot 6, teapot 750 and gsxr11 from 86-88.

Kinda kicking myself for throwing out a spare teapot 750 bottom end now.

Edited by VJ
On 4/16/2019 at 8:46 AM, MeanBean49 said:

Im pretty sure the oil pumps are the same in all the oil cooled motors. Everyone ive ever taken apart has been the same

Just opened two oil-pump , one is from slaby750 and another is from slingshot 750J/K , and they are internally different , slingshot750 is with bigger rotors diameter .

• Like 1

Robinsons have got them on offer at cheap money.  Same pump fits all oil cooled units I think.  Some part numbers have been superceded so they are probably all intrechangeable.  The don't come with the gear (which IS different for different engines).  I got one a few months ago for my 1127 for about 125 quid.