Float heights?

99 Bandit 36 cv carbs.What float heights u guys using on turbo application?Took the bike out for a run last night and found to be running real rich low down in rev range.Checked heights today and found them to be low .Does 16mm sound about what they should be set at to compensate for fuel pressure from pump?Stock is 14mm iirc.Just wat to confirm thank you gents.

I'm running 16mm too. I've tried for months to find a solution to cure the rich spot when you spread the throttle at low revs with no solution.

Working with harder springs, spring preload, lowering the float until possible, playing with needles position.

The only thing I haven't done is to reduce the holes in the plastic slide inside the carbs. That should slow the very first opening keeping a much better response than with the harder springs.

But I've cooked 2 pistons and 2 combustion chambers, and I'm going to fit a fuel injection because I'm sick of working on carbs

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

I try and keep mine at 15mm, it doesnt like them any highter, floods a lot. I take carbs off and reset them every 500 miles or so, they do tend to get higher with use, and when the boost has been turned up.

Do you have 36mm carbs?

With 34 should be much better, floats are much stronger and more stable

4 hours ago, Goo'Roo said:

Do you have 36mm carbs?

With 34 should be much better, floats are much stronger and more stable

Yeah ive got 36mm bandit carbs,

Floats are no better in the 34's, the tang for the valve bends just as easily as the 36's and pretty much any other set of carbs.

Omly ever really a problem if I go over 10psi. Trouble is it spends quite a bit of time over that 

8 hours ago, MeanBean49 said:

I try and keep mine at 15mm, it doesnt like them any highter, floods a lot. I take carbs off and reset them every 500 miles or so, they do tend to get higher with use, and when the boost has been turned up.

Good info there.Didnt realise float height would change so soon under boost. Found my set up to be way off original setting when I went in to check heights. 

5 hours ago, Suban12 said:

Good info there.Didnt realise float height would change so soon under boost. Found my set up to be way off original setting when I went in to check heights. 

Might just be my setup, but thats how quick it goes out, can normally feel it starting to go off a bit and be a bit less crisp

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 10:43 PM, Goo'Roo said:

I'm running 16mm too. I've tried for months to find a solution to cure the rich spot when you spread the throttle at low revs with no solution.

Working with harder springs, spring preload, lowering the float until possible, playing with needles position.

The only thing I haven't done is to reduce the holes in the plastic slide inside the carbs. That should slow the very first opening keeping a much better response than with the harder springs.

But I've cooked 2 pistons and 2 combustion chambers, and I'm going to fit a fuel injection because I'm sick of working on carbs

Are there any special post about fitting fuel injection? I would like to dig into that :banana: