rebuild

On 7/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, Bazeque said:

Sorry? Not sure if I'm confused over something menial. I have a triumph as well. But not sure your meaning? :)

On 7/16/2019 at 3:00 PM, Bazeque said:

Sorry? Not sure if I'm confused over something menial. I have a triumph as well. But not sure your meaning? :)

Just saw your keys on the worktop .

Just saw your thread, a great read so far!

Virtually identical to my situation... I have a 1980 GSX1100 left to me by my Dad. Lovely bike to ride but its not without it's issues. Fair play for tearing right into it, it wont be cheap but you wont regret it once its running 100%!

Keep the updates coming

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, simesman said:

Your picture of the Exhaust Craft pipe was the one that made me order one and it's now on its way to me, can't wait to fit it!

WP_20190806_14_44_08_Pro[1].jpg

You'll probably hear those before I do! Please send a video once you've got them fitted. I'm desperate to hear what mine sound like, but likely won't be for another month or so!

Damn his exhausts look good!

Edited by Bazeque
21 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

No one ever told you about the unwritten rule that when the cylinders come of you need to put a high compression big bore kit on? ;)

Off course this goes together with a proper camshaft and matching Mikuni RS carbs... ;)

I've been told that if you do put a big bore on, you also need to get the crank welded to stop any twisting. You had any experience with this?

The plan for mine is to bore it out, and go up a size slightly but also need to get the bearings redone on the crank as well. Pretty costly, around £180 each, and 6 are needed. Does that sound right?

• 3 months later...

Slowly coming along. 

Engine now vapour/bead blasted, come back very nice. 

Crank should be back tail end of January. Took forever to find a place that'll guarantee the weld. Full replacement of bearings. Bloody pricey! 

Boreing up to 1180cc. 

Also came across this. Not sure how accurate it is, but apparently only 3 GS1100X are active in the UK? Doesn't sound right to me but 

https://www.carlogbook.co.uk/suzuki/gs1100x/

20191220_125610.jpg

20191220_125603.jpg

20191220_125600.jpg

20191220_125555.jpg

• Like 1

When I saw the s/hand cranks quoted at £200 and knowing that bearings, even at £100 a piece + labour pulling it apart and pressing back again, no one will be selling a fresh refurbed crank for £200...... @ £750 it still would be cheap IMO! The mains often seem worn but it does take a lot to actually kill them - best to get advice from a experienced crank builder. They don't need welding if you keep the rev's under control, if you buzz them, they will twist.

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1

Crank cost me £900 in total. Took us a while to find someone who's experienced in them, but got some advice from Sean at big cc, about somebody who does them for drag bikes with the same engines etc. 

Understand about the twisting and keeping revs under control but figured whilst I'm there might as well get it done! 

Bearings were actually fine, but it's coming up 40 years old, and I've refreshed practically everything, so no point skimping on the crank. 

Better doing it right than doing it twice! 

• 4 months later...

Gday lads new to the site so cheers to u all. Really enjoying the pics and comments on this rebuild, I’m collecting parts for same model now and about to start my rebuild so look forward to more of the same from u. I’m in oz and there’s bugger all ET/X 1100 sexers around and no real experts I know off. I’ll be ripping the engine out first so will be asking some questions on best practices shortly. Cheers 

• Bazeque changed the title to rebuild