rebuild

Just now, eddiegsx said:

Wheels look great, i was thinking of having mine diamond cut. Where did you have them done? Also if you dont mind me asking, how much am i looking at?

Quoted £200 for them initially. Although, they forgot to quote for the diamond cutting, so cost me a little more. £300 in total. Had them done in a place local to me Berkshire way. I can PM you some details if you like?

1 minute ago, eddiegsx said:

If you would please, I had an idea the process would be quite expensive but its one of them jobs you dont have to do again.

A mate of mine had it done on one of his bikes but the company wont touch anymore bike wheels. Cheers

Haha, there's probably a good reason for that! I know they were hesitant to doing it in the first place, but the mechanics I know somewhat insisted with them to do it. 

I'll get you some details sent across tomorrow! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yikes. Finally had it apart. The plating on the cylinder isn't looking good. The pressure test also was shit. 

Cylinder 1 is 150. 2 is 170. 3 is 140. 4 is 130. 

Man this isn't going to be cheap. Looks like a big bore, replate and new pistons required.. 

Some more pictures

Screenshot_20190614-170452_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190614-170449_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190614-170437_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20190614-170434_Facebook.jpg

Edited by Bazeque
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All paint now done. Seat also recovered. 

You're correct in that it's not plated, sleeved. My bad there. Just deciding on piston size to use. Then to get it bored out. 

Also, crank bearings. Not currently an issue but they're almost 40 years old so feel they need replacing. Feel if I don't I'll regret it later down the line if there's an issue. However there's 5,and they're about £180 each from what I've seen. Might be cheaper buying a new crank. 

Engines fully stripped and being sent off this week for sand blasting. 

Going to take the air suspension out and put harder springs in the front forks. Deciding on which front brakes to use as more braking is definitely needed. Any recommendations? 

More pictures to follow soon. 

20190703_162125.jpg

20190703_162130.jpg

On 6/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, simesman said:

How's the project going? Got the exhaust on yet? Love to see pictures and maybe sound!

Not just yet! Really want to hear what it sounds like, but not rebuilt the engine yet! Hopefully another month or so to go! Definitely will post some when possible! 

What mileage has it done . Why not glazebust the bores & fit new rings , turn your cylinder head over & fill squish cavities with petrol to check valve sealing . Bottom ends are well robust , if it ain't knocking/rumbling leave well alone .  Use quality oil & filters .

On 7/7/2019 at 12:04 AM, Bazeque said:

All paint now done. Seat also recovered. 

You're correct in that it's not plated, sleeved. My bad there. Just deciding on piston size to use. Then to get it bored out. 

Also, crank bearings. Not currently an issue but they're almost 40 years old so feel they need replacing. Feel if I don't I'll regret it later down the line if there's an issue. However there's 5,and they're about £180 each from what I've seen. Might be cheaper buying a new crank. 

Engines fully stripped and being sent off this week for sand blasting. 

Going to take the air suspension out and put harder springs in the front forks. Deciding on which front brakes to use as more braking is definitely needed. Any recommendations? 

More pictures to follow soon. 

20190703_162125.jpg

20190703_162130.jpg

I have seen several low mileage/ rebuilt cranks for sale recently for £200.

Edited by inazumarob
Missed word
  • Like 1