gs1000 tank fitting problems

dirky

morning

recently brought a usa road tank  ,not a ltd.

been told it will fit my uk bike but i have a 78 with slide carbs and the petcocks  hitting the carb before the tanks fully down. petcock is a vacuum tap.

has anyone fitted one of these? is the earlier tap smaller.

any advice greatly appreciated....

dirk

There's 2 types of tank, early for slide carbs, and later for CV carbs.

The early type has 44mm tap hole spacing and the tap has a lever. The later type has 50mm hole spacing and no lever on the tap, and no reserve position.

What's confusing me is that the later tank has the tap further away from the carbs, so shouldn't clash. It fits the early bike fine.

Have you got a pic?

thanks for the fast reply and the help.

brought it off suzuki performane couple of weeks back.said he had one on his own bike. it mght of fitted if it was cv carbs possibly.

is there a tank that would fit this . maybe a Et1100.  1000 tanks are rare to get hold of.

cheers

1 hour ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

I've got the same tank on my gs1000g 

CCF0B0E7-B377-442A-AC62-9913181B92F4.jpeg

Should of went to spec savers B| your tank is totally different shape to the Blue tank, like said above its a import gsx1100/750 tank, it might possibly fit if you use a Pingel fuel tap :tu

• Like 1
Guest YoshiJohnny

No plans as far as I know, there were some Indian guys making them a while back but never saw or tried one for comparison. 

They were crap when they were new, mine was peppered and holed when it was 3 years old... pretty rubbish

47 minutes ago, nick65 said:

You could fit one of these taps which should allow clearance for your carbs. Available on Eblag for £30. 

FE7282C6-9307-45BA-B6C3-D5895808AAF7.png

I might be wrong, but I don't think that will fit. The lever-less type have 50mm hole spacing....anything with a lever has 44mm.

It's a pain in the arse. Suzuki went to the lever-less type for a year, then changed back, and as far as I'm aware, there is no tap with a lever that fits the 50mm spaced tank.

Finding a GS1000 tank in good nick is hard. I'm on my third for my 1000S. My original was rotten, but in retrospect I should have kep it. 

The first replacement looked like tattered lace, but even then I sold it to a guy who is repairing it. The next one looked great, but even then has a brazed repair and needs another, then lining.

Also it has badge mounts which will need filling, and the dreaded 50mm tap spacing. It's the best I could find.

There was a bloke at Newark autojumble last year flogging brand new ally replica gs1000 tanks for 600 quid a pop. Sounds dear but they were really superbly made, and were made to fit stock mountings. He had one painted in GS1000S colours and it looked stock and really good. Can't remember the tap fitting though. He told me he knew a bloke who worked in the classic car trade who would only make a batch even though he only wanted one, and was flogging off the others he did not want. I should have taken his number, even though I don't own a GS. DohO.o I suppose on the off-chance he may turn up again, so Newark punters  keep a look out.

5 hours ago, Dezza said:

There was a bloke at Newark autojumble last year flogging brand new ally replica gs1000 tanks for 600 quid a pop. Sounds dear but they were really superbly made, and were made to fit stock mountings. He had one painted in GS1000S colours and it looked stock and really good. Can't remember the tap fitting though. He told me he knew a bloke who worked in the classic car trade who would only make a batch even though he only wanted one, and was flogging off the others he did not want. I should have taken his number, even though I don't own a GS. DohO.o I suppose on the off-chance he may turn up again, so Newark punters  keep a look out.

He was selling them on the bay about a year ago.... I enquired about them but never purchased