I thought up a few names for this thread, but once I loaded this thing onto the trailer, none of them did the bike justice. So, I present to you, my Bimota SB6. PIcked her up today.
It's tiny, and perfectly formed. And has 1100cc worth of OldSkoolSuzuki grunt buried between those epic frame rails. I cannot stop fucking grinning.

46561312925_1912eb9998_b.jpg
She's pretty shabby, but I can't stop looking at it.
(note, while the tank, airbox and exhaust aren't fitted in that pic, I do have them. Seats and number plate holder, not so much. Headlights are on their way from Japan.)

40510411903_c53c1bd073_b.jpg

• Like 20

So there's going to be some hunting of parts, some making of parts, and a whole bunch of recomissioning, and then maybe a cosmetic tidyup. May build a new rear half for the exhaust - the stock mufflers weigh a fucktonne (or seem like it after lifting the seat unit!) .

16 hours ago, SiBag said:

I love mine, prettiest bike ever manufactured in my opinion.

Just a shame no-one realises what they are when you park them up.

Get over to bimotaforum.co.uk

Already there - infact, have been lurking around there for nearly 18 months I think.

I can't stop eyeballing it everytime I walk past it.

Pretty much exactly that - Suzuki (powered) Bimota, model 6.

SB1 were TR500III powered racebikes.

SB2, SB3, SB4 were GS1000 powered (although, being a kit bike, the SB4 often copped GSX1100 power)

SB5 was GSX1100 powered

SB7, confusingly, shares the frame number sequence (200 SB7, 1144 SB6, frame numbers are randomly scattered), but got an injected version of the w/c GSXR750SP motor.

SB8 series were TL1000R powered.

If they used the capacity naming convention, there'd be 4 quite different SB10s, and a couple of SB11s.

• Like 3

Progress so far has consisted of ordering parts and moving it into the spot in the shed where I can work on it - in doing so I had to move the Mito, so briefly had them parked side by side. The Mito is much much taller, and feels to carry all it's weight up high when you lift it off the side stand, even though it's not even 130kg... Just seems odd that the Bim is 60kg heavier, but carries it all so low. Should be fun!

On 3/27/2019 at 5:24 AM, Gammaboy said:

I thought up a few names for this thread, but once I loaded this thing onto the trailer, none of them did the bike justice. So, I present to you, my Bimota SB6. PIcked her up today.
It's tiny, and perfectly formed. And has 1100cc worth of OldSkoolSuzuki grunt buried between those epic frame rails. I cannot stop fucking grinning.

46561312925_1912eb9998_b.jpg
She's pretty shabby, but I can't stop looking at it.
(note, while the tank, airbox and exhaust aren't fitted in that pic, I do have them. Seats and number plate holder, not so much. Headlights are on their way from Japan.)

40510411903_c53c1bd073_b.jpg

Don't normally repeat the pics but just incase anyone missed the first one.

Always want one !! one day. me is so green but then you mentioned the 750sp with it's fi too now i am double green!

I hope it has new chain and spockets tho|! Nice find.(y)

12 hours ago, Fazz711 said:

What is the difference between the SB6 and SB6 R?  Thought they were the same but with suspension and detail tweeks. 

same basic engine / chassis set-up albeit there are very specific differences so that the '6R' used a single battery mounted behind the headstock as opposed to the afterthought of the twin batteries stuck up behind the headlights on the '6'

bodywork is more angular / modern with single headlight (depending on your tastes) but i like them personally

6R uses a longer swingarm (Same unit as SB8R and VDue I believe)  a collection of about 15 plastic panels vs the 2 single piece carbon reinforced fiberglass pieces of the 6, has questionable styling (Don't get me wrong, there are bits of it I love, but as a whole it's not as cohesive as the 6 or the VDue, and hasn't aged as well - SB8R suffers the same issue), does away with the bracing behind the headstock and has a bigger airbox thanks to the ram air ducts that run over the top of the head but under the tank making the tank higher - the battery lives in the middle of the tank, so CG is not quite as low as the 6 - those that have ridden both say the 6R is less nimble, but more comfortable.

The 2 batteries up next to the headstock isn't really an afterthought - it's a neat bit of packaging to try to help keep the front wheel down, and, well, there's nowhere else to put it!

Have a look at the pics of one undressed here:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Road Test/Bimota SB6 1996 Motosprint/Bimota_SB6_Motosprint.htm

Edited by Gammaboy
  • Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...