GS1000 Engine Paint

nick65

If there is a code for the correct paint for the engine, I've never found it:/. Apparently smoothrite is a good enough paint to use but doesn't react very well to petrol. While i've been looking I was pointed in the direction of " Mipatherm" high temperature paint by @ral. I got mine from the bay of e. If you have a look at the topic GSX 1100 ET @ral there is a photo of the engine he has painted Looks good to me:tu

No! Vapour Blasting cleans, then closes the pores in the alloy. It looks better than new if done properly. I used to bead blast my old Triumph/BSA/Norton cases. The finish looked ok, but easily picked up dirty finger marks, until I found out that using a soft brass brush in the electric drill gave a nice satin sheen, which also closed the pores against dirt. 

Yeah, vapour won't take old paint off, you need something more aggressive. Soda? Your blaster will know.  You leave a rougher finish for painting than vapour gives you.

Just had mine done on my 1000S and have left it raw. 

R.D. Cox in Reading did my 7/11 20 years ago, great match to original and still in good condition.

20190317_191120.jpg

I might be wrong on this but I don’t recall the bottom case being painted on the thou, it wasn’t on my last one owned for 25 years with no known engine changes, finish over time yellowed slightly and appeared to be more of a clear coat finish on upper cases.