GSX1100ET Gearchange Problems

I know the gear change I've got needs some refinement but it works - and is quite slick. I thought about doing a 'heel and toe' type shifter but I haven't got enough movement in my left leg and ankle to be able to operate it. Most of the bikes I've had have been Japanese and I've been able to operate the gear shifter by hooking my toe under the lever and lifting my leg for up shifts or dropping my foot onto the pedal for down shifts (I wear a caliper (leg iron) and raised shoe and my foot doesn't pivot very well at the ankle). For some reason on this GSX1100ET I'm unable to do that. I don't know if it's the relationship of the seat to gear lever or advancing years and my body not as capable as it once was or maybe a combination of both??? I tried a Kliktronic gear shifter but found it too difficult to select neutral even when it was setup correctly. The system I've got know works fine, is more positive than the Kliktronic and with some refinement to angles, and changing the ball joints to good quality ones, will be better for me than any of the others so far considered. After battling this problem for a year I'm just so pleased to be back on the road but thank you for your suggestions.

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:55 AM, Ibbo said:

I don't think it's you're problem, but I've had a few engines converted to right hand change.

The best way is to extend the gearchange out through the clutch cover. The linkages never work as well as the direct approach.

Mike

Rev,s Hot Clutch did that on his Drag bike,s

As it was easier to hold clutch in with the proper hand and fight with the right on the gear shift than try and hold clutch with the right hand and fiddle with the left hand ..............:tu

20 minutes ago, GSX-Trike said:

How was the gearchange extended through the clutch cover? Any pics and/or details I can look at anywhere? Any interweb links?

extended the gear change shaft out the right side using another shaft ...boss welded on the cover for the oil seal...........simples....

On 3/21/2019 at 10:15 PM, GSX-Trike said:

Thanks Hacri. It will be interesting to know if the clutch hub has been modified and if it has why? And if it hasn't why the "spacers" that were fitted are 1mm longer than OEM? Tho I don't suppose I will ever find out.

correct me if im wrong, but has that basket got a straight cut primary drive fitted? hard to tell from the one pic of the gears on the backplate, but it looks like one.

To be honest at the time I wasn't particulrly bothered whether the clutch basket had straight cut gearing or not I was more interested in working out why the clutch dragged? However, I've since looked at all the photos I've got of the clutch and because the photos are taken at a slight angle to the basket it's difficult to tell if the gear is straight cut or not. If I think of it next time I do an oil change and I can get the clutch cover off without tearing the gasket I'll have a look.