Alloy Harris F1 - 1988...

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dupersunc said:

Lots of people claim to be able to service and set up suspension.

Mark is one of the few that really can.

Yeah, fascinating talking to Mark... he explained that the ‘bike the shock was originally designed for (and is evidenced in the paperwork that I got with the Harris) was probably heavier than the Harris.... at some point a lighter spring was fitted, but not an Öhlins item - so didn’t actually fit properly.
Mark sourced an Öhlins spring that matched the lighter rate of the non-standard replacement... Fascinating taking on on project & unraveling how/what/why it was built the way it was... (y)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting... I followed the destructions in the ‘Streetfighters’ articles for cam-timing.... which are spot-on...

Just to say that the Yoshimura paperwork cam-timing figures are for timing their cam’s with the tappet clearances set at 0.15mm, which differs from on-line advice....

Spent hours working with zero tappet-clearance trying to get the cam timing right ... then set the clearances to 0.15mm & the timing/lobe-centre figures were spot-on... :)

5E0B4608-B8A1-4C2B-BA5F-40C8EDD1EFAF.jpeg

Edited by flatline
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, fatblokeonbandit said:

Bugger me thats really shinyB|

The photo’s don’t do it justice.... still a few scars from being ridden on the road tho, so not a 100% perfect show-bike, bottom line is it’s 30+ years old...  but I’m happy with that cos’ it means I can ride the thing & not worry...  (y)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dremel.jpeg.614067511daa854553296eabdfd4bdf3.jpeg

A bit of work today... the 'head was originally worked on by Roger Upperton using the standard 36mm carb' rubbers.. I have had to use 40mm carb' rubbers to fit the new carburettors... so some work with the Dremel to match rubbers to port & vice-versa....

Edited by Captain Chaos
second photo
  • 2 weeks later...