Alloy Harris F1 - 1988...

On 3/11/2020 at 2:49 PM, Oilyspanner said:

Loving the build (y)

Could you do me a big favour, I've been trying to find out the piston weight of the Wossner pistons for almost a year, but have had no success. Their pistons are a slightly different design to the American pistons which are 10 % heavier than stock. I believe they also taper bore the gudgeon pins as well, like the stock pins - the American ones aren't and are 10 % heavier !!   I'm hoping the W. pistons are lighter, if so I'll use some on a future project.  80,81 and 82mm pistons normally weigh much the same.

Wiseco pistons weighed 237.5g  and the g.pins were 78g average.

You might've buttoned it all up now of course !

Cheers

Sorry mate, the pistons went straight in when they arrived!! Other than that I haven't been doing any work on the 'bike as I've had other distractions in my little world....

Edited by flatline
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 10:18 AM, Rampager said:

Hi just found your posts on the bike that I wish I had never sold you all those years ago.

Would be great to catch up with you and the bike when you get it finished.

Only bike I wish I had held onto .

Will do mate, are you still living in the same place??

• 2 weeks later...

An early Covid-Christmas-Present.... I bought my first Yoshimura tuning part back in 1984, when I visited Dixon Racing in Godalming.... it was only a 'Yoshi' cloth patch to sew onto my leathers, but it seemed to work!!

Today I 'broke the piggy-bank' & splashed out on a set of Stage 2 cam's for for the Harris... I am basically building the 'bike that I dreamt of in my late teens... It may not be 'period-correct', but it is how I see it would have evolved in my ownership over the past couple of decades....

Still a long way to go, but each step is a step closer to the 'bike being finished (y)

p.s. excellent comprehensive installation instructions in Japanese... anyone care to translate? :banana:

C8343C88-D4B8-40A5-9D2F-CC0EF0F57D5D_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by flatline
  • Like 2
On 6/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, flatline said:

An early Covid-Christmas-Present.... I bought my first Yoshimura tuning part back in 1984, when I visited Dixon Racing in Godalming.... it was only a 'Yoshi' cloth patch to sew onto my leathers, but it seemed to work!!

Today I 'broke the piggy-bank' & splashed out on a set of Stage 2 cam's for for the Harris... I am basically building the 'bike that I dreamt of in my late teens... It may not be 'period-correct', but it is how I see it would have evolved in my ownership over the past couple of decades....

Still a long way to go, but each step is a step closer to the 'bike being finished (y)

p.s. excellent comprehensive installation instructions in Japanese... anyone care to translate? :banana:

Use Google Translate on your phone and just wave your phone camera at it for realtime translations.

• Like 1

Interesting... the standard camshafts are hollow.
The camshaft bearings have a positive lubrication from the oil lube system.

In the Yoshimura cam’s the ends of the camshafts are plugged, and a hole drilled into both the camshaft bearing and the cam-lobe... so effectively taking the positive lube of the bearings and passing it on to the lobes ..
A really good idea judging by the condition (not so good) of some of the rocker-arms I’ve seen (y)

58728E3B-937B-446C-A953-63860BFF2AB9.jpeg

0E265978-6772-4150-8CC0-CA399AA7F0BA.jpeg

• Like 3

More fun.... I put the top-end together last weekend, aligned to the camshafts with the crankshaft & bolted everything down.... discovered that the camshafts wouldn't move at all  - so feared the worse, and that I'd got the cam-timing wrong..?? >:(

Stripped it all down again, & as soon as I loosened the camshaft bearing caps they started to move freely. Took the cam-rockers out & installed the standard camshafts - same issue, i.e. the camshafts were solid & wouldn't move with the bearing caps torqued up.....

Asked around, and no-one seems to have any idea what was going on. Then spoke to Roger Upperton, who said that it wasn't an uncommon issue... took the head to him yesterday & he checked everything, and then spent a couple of hours hand 'relieving' the camshaft caps that were tight, and then honing the lot & checking that the head was 'straight'.... I also mentioned that I thought that the camshaft bearing bolts were were made of 'cheese' & he agreed.... so I've just spent 15 minutes ordering some 'Unbrako' cap-screws from these people https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/index.html to replace the standard bolts as a bit of insurance... (y)

Edited by flatline
  • Like 2
On 6/18/2020 at 9:08 PM, Gnome said:

I've used Westfield a few times - great service.

For a lot of my stainless stuff I go to eBlag and use "Kay's." Again, great service!

Bike looks awesome with the fairing on, and the engine build is looking top quality too!

Yup, Westfield are good!! Placed my order on Thursday evening, and it was delivered to me this morning (y)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Lock-Down progress; the Homebase 'Factory' chassis stand - drew it last night and built it this morning - place under 'bike, lift rear wheel 12" and roll forward.. both wheels now 2" off the floor, ideal for working on the chassis.... 32-year-old Öhlins rear-shock coming out this afternoon & off tomorrow to be refurbished.. :banana:

IMG_3631.jpeg

• Like 6
On 6/5/2020 at 9:53 AM, flatline said:

C8343C88-D4B8-40A5-9D2F-CC0EF0F57D5D_1_201_a.jpeg

If you find out please let me know, I have a set to fit too :)

I had the same problem a little while back with a Daytona multi-guage. I emailed Daytona explaining the problem and they sent me the destructions in English. My guess is if you email Yosh in Japan and ask, they'll go out of their way to help. It's a Japanese thing:).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 370steve said:

If you find out please let me know, I have a set to fit too :)

The paperwork that comes with the Yoshi cams seems to supply enough info., r.e. cam-timing, etc... seems pretty straightforward to set up to factory-spec., just need a degree-wheel, dial-gauge, etc... (y)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...