Alloy Harris F1 - 1988...

7 hours ago, Dezza said:

From where can you obtain those fairings that fit the bike without modification? Is RER aware that the fairings they sell for GSXRs are too narrow to go round the engine I wonder? It's listed on their website as 'Yoshimura '87 GSXR ' but 50mm is quite a lot to be out by.

It looks like the original Harris fairing (a Yoshimura copy?) had the same issue, with cut-outs on both sides to clear the timing/starter covers...

harris_f1bluenwhite.jpg

harrisF1.jpg

Edited by flatline
  • Like 1

Cutouts is fine:); widening the belly pan by 50mm sounds like a whole load of grief:( I intend to use one of these on my Spondon project bike but it has a frame that goes round the engine not over the top of the head so clearly width issues may give me hassle.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Dezza M8, Spondon tube frames and Harris Mag 4's were never intended for wrapping - it'd just be wrong. With a fairing and from the front it'll look like a beach ball. Your bike but please think again?

It's not a tube frame, it's a beam frame. There are pics of it on my build thread in the projects section - improbably too:) - and it's a bike that would look shit with flatbars etc.

10 hours ago, Dezza said:

From where can you obtain those fairings that fit the bike without modification? Is RER aware that the fairings they sell for GSXRs are too narrow to go round the engine I wonder? It's listed on their website as 'Yoshimura '87 GSXR ' but 50mm is quite a lot to be out by.

I think I mentioned it to Spike in amongst talking about other stuff.

Didn't really bother me.

Originally those fairings weren't fully enclosed underneath. I think Spike has adapted a Tz under fairing to make it comply to ACU regs.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, dupersunc said:

I think I mentioned it to Spike in amongst talking about other stuff.

Didn't really bother me.

Originally those fairings weren't fully enclosed underneath. I think Spike has adapted a Tz under fairing to make it comply to ACU regs.

Spike has just been round for a cuppa Yorkshire, & we discussed this very subject - I'll be modifying my bellypan to fit around the GSX-R engine & he'll then take a mould to add to his repertoire (y)

• Like 3

Saturday afternoon... pleased to discover that amongst 3 cardboard boxes filled with all sorts of bits & pieces that have been moved from pillar-to-post over the years I still have all the parts to put the motor back together.... starter clutch, ignition signal generator, etc., etc...  Now gapping the piston-rings, and then assembling the pistons/cylinder block.

IMG_0123.jpeg

Edited by flatline
  • Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FBusy with work this week; so not much progress with the Harris - However, several cups of coffee & an hour or so this morning had the con-rods/pistons assembled & into the cylinder-block....   Thanks to Nick for supplying many of the components for this engine-build :-)

B39C6D7F-8DC9-4647-B51F-D5927B76F9E5.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, the project has stalled somewhat.... I assembled the Wössner 12:1 pistons (1186cc), and before I went any further checked that everything rotated OK (Falicon rods cleared the crankcases, etc...) = all o.k.

Put the cylinder-head on, and carried out the same check.... duh; as either set of pistons approached TDC things came to a halt... deffo lack of clearance between piston & cylinder-head.. put a couple of strips of plasticine in to confirm - see photo's.

To my knowledge the block has not been honed/decked. At TDC the edge of the piston (aka squish-band) measure approx. 0.5mm below the dec of the barrel. In the same position the top of there piston crown is approx. 1.5mm above the deck of the barrel. 

Anyone have any thoughts on this?? I've contacted Wössner & am awaiting a reply....

p.s. Comtec gaskets, base & cylinder-head

fullsizeoutput_27ec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_281a.jpeg

IMG_0306.JPG

Edited by flatline

Is this, cams in or out? If in. my 1st thought was valve pockets but they look big / deep enough (providing its not a 'stupidly big' lift cam).

Other than that I can't see anything else that could interfere .............. its not a loose can chain in the tunnel is it? 

• Like 1

Just ideas:- Falicon rods Busa and not gsxr1100 (119.5mm instead of 117mm), stroker crank (I think you would have noticed and would have had clearance issues), decked block (seems a lot to have skimmed off) or pistons not to spec.

What block is it 1052, 1127 or 1157? 1052 ran a 58mm stroke crank, others 59mm stroke. Don't know if 1052 block is shorter to make up for the shorter stroke.

Edited by jameskat
thinking
  • Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Finally... arrived from Germany via UPS this afternoon; the 'replacement' pistons from Wössner :)

Had a quick look, and they fit!! ... so project hopefully back on course... Target date for completion is before December 2023 (when I'll be 60 yrs old!!!:banana:

fullsizeoutput_304f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_304c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3052.jpeg

• Like 7
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Loving the build (y)

Could you do me a big favour, I've been trying to find out the piston weight of the Wossner pistons for almost a year, but have had no success. Their pistons are a slightly different design to the American pistons which are 10 % heavier than stock. I believe they also taper bore the gudgeon pins as well, like the stock pins - the American ones aren't and are 10 % heavier !!   I'm hoping the W. pistons are lighter, if so I'll use some on a future project.  80,81 and 82mm pistons normally weigh much the same.

Wiseco pistons weighed 237.5g  and the g.pins were 78g average.

You might've buttoned it all up now of course !

Cheers

• 1 month later...