525 chain

manden

• 4 weeks later...

Good point  CliveGTO !  a quality 525 chain is used by most modern 1000cc sportsters too  I think - so more than able.

I  use a 530 chain on mine, I was concerned about the ally rear sprocket wearing out too quickly if I went smaller - 530s don't wear too much - do 525 ally sprockets stand up to general use  okay ? - not wanting to go off topic, but it sort off goes hand in hand with chain size.

I think the stretch partly comes from the small front sprocket. ive been looking around and i can so far only find 520, and im not ready for 520 yest.

it dyno´d 152/123 on a happy dyno so 525 is what i look for. i bought a cheap 530 xring for thge break in of the engine and it stretched alot in the first 800km. 700km break in, oilchange and 100 semi rough kilometers.

1 hour ago, manden said:

it dyno´d 152/123 on a happy dyno

That's a lot of torque down low....or 152/153 hp ?  Yep, always better to keep the front sprocket as large as possible, it abuses the links less. I bought a fairly cheap JT x ring chain, it wore a bit early on, but it rarely needs adjusting now.....in fact I want it to wear more, then I'll swap it for a 525 and sprockets !

On 3/18/2019 at 10:17 AM, clivegto said:

I also run a 530 chain bike makes 260hp & run a ally back sprocket I know it's not 525 but hardly any significant sign of wear after 3000 miles last year.

What manufacturer and series was it? I prefer to pay a little more and have reliable stuff

On 3/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, manden said:

What manufacturer and series was it? I prefer to pay a little more and have reliable stuff

Have had 3 Tsubaki Sigma X ring chains last 3 or 4 years. Fantastic chains but soft links hard to get hold of. Have just bought a DID 530 zvmx chain because soft links are readily available, both of these chains are a similar price.