Best modern shock replacement for 91-92 GSX-R

Skipsatrip

..... i'll play along with this one and quote a shock distributor.:

- do you ride track / race / off - road ?

- do you ride solo / duo?

- do you ride with luggage?

- what do you weigh incl gear?

- are you fast or slow?

- what is your budget?

- etc....

just some of the  questions I got from Hyperpro.

My point is... what might work for me - 115 kg incl gear, mostly solo and sedate commuting - will not be the best option for you IF you are a light weight jockey and dragrace it all the time.

Welcome btw..... hop over to general and introduce yourself ;)

• Like 2

As allready  noted , it's all about use/cost/Spec! Every one has a difference of opinion and experiences. We have all tried many conatations over years, some work some don't .ive used ohlins/hagon/k tech/ wp/  Oem gsxr k4/5 fit well ,  I've just modded a Nitron bandit shock Ntr2 to suit my needs . But hey what ever you find to suit your bike, Just make it happen.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 2/19/2019 at 9:19 AM, Sandman said:

One of the best rear shock is Ohlins SU503. This shock is for the GSXR 1000 K5/K6. I have used this shock for all my race builds GSXR 750 -88, GSXR 1100 -90 with GSXR 750 -95 swingarm, including a GSXR 750 RR.

I need to ask? How? I have a `91 750, with a `95 arm. I bought an `06 1000 shock and it won't fit. Seems the upper mount just doesnt line up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's quite easy, there is a lot of info out there, but I'll summarize...

First, you will be using your 91 swingarm axle (the one that attaches to the frame) and the bushings and spacers from your `91, amazingly the bushings from the 91 slide perfectly into the 94-95 bushings. You can cold weld them or use loctite (what I did) I think I used the same spacers as well from the `91.  You will need the rear brake stay, and caliper from a Water cooled gsxr, I think some bandit stuff crosses over as well. I did this conversion all on info I've picked up on various forums. I bought the rear wheel from a 95 as well, you will have issues with alignment with the earlier wheels. The bonus is the 94-95 wheels (straight spokes) are lighter as well.  There are quite a few parts from the 94-95 needed to make this work. I started with a bare frame and no donor bike, so I was going to need all this stuff anyway. The dog bones from the 91-92 won't work, you'll have to use 94-95's. You can reuse your stock shock without any problems. Although the ride height sure looked low. I fitted an oem unit from an `06 gsxr1000. It is a little longer, which is ideal if you like going around corners. When we were racing these things, they had to be jacked up a bit in the rear. I did a bit of grinding on my upper shock mount, and had to space out the mount from the frame a bit, still a work in progress.

I had a slew of different pivots I tried, I think I settled on the 91 pivot with dog bones from the 94-95.

if you are using a bmw  s1000 shock, it won't work, the reservoir hits the swingarm bracing. the `06 unit points the reservoir higher and it clears. If you use your stock shock with a remote reservoir or  the proper aftermarket one (which I can't find for under 500 usd in the US), you can run the stock battery box, I had mine fitted, until I decided to make the later model shock fit.

Edited by xracerfranz
typoes

:stop:The OP posted in Feb 2019. One post! Must’ve got all the answers he wanted, and fucked off, never to be seen again!                                    Boils my piss! 
Is there not a way, where a new member only has access to the ‘General’ section for his first introductory  post? 
Rant over!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Swiss Toni said:

:stop:The OP posted in Feb 2019. One post! Must’ve got all the answers he wanted, and fucked off, never to be seen again!                                    Boils my piss! 
Is there not a way, where a new member only has access to the ‘General’ section for his first introductory  post? 
Rant over!

And unfortunately a lot tend to be from the same part of the planet! - must be something in the water!

15 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

@xracerfranz No mate! The original poster/culprit was@Skipsatrip One post, and gone! Del had a rant about this years ago on the original site. Questions asked, problems solved with not as much as a 'Kiss me arse'! Straight in with both feet! Costs nowt to say 'Thank you'!

Personally if this site was my 'train set' - any 1st post that started with a question would get shit canned straight away until a proper meaningful introduction is undertaken. We are all responsible for responding to one timers - if we all ignored a 1st post question, they would either get the message or f^^k off which is what they tend to do anyway so no loss there!

• Like 3

Regardless of the OP's staggering level of ignorance and lack of etiquette, all of the replies have been helpful and informative to many others here, including me. Sanctioning such 1st posts in the future thus has the potential to 'throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater' - the OP suffers a cost but so does everyone else, whereas letting it go and allowing such posts often benefits not only the OPer but many others too.

The people who do this are still twats and reminding them of this but still letting the posts stand, as happens currently, is in my opinion the best way to handle such ignoramouses:).  Trying to maintain mutual benefit will almost always produce a better overall result than spite, the textbook definition of which is 'cost to actor and recipient,' which may well occur if ignoramous 1st posters get sanctioned immediately.

• Like 2

@Gixer1460 and @DezzaBoth very valid points! But ... as I was ‘going off on one’ I thought, (as Dezza pointed out), although this miscreant has fucked off, look at all the information his post has generated. It’s a fucking shitload! All  useful to other members! So, whadya do? Maybe when registering as a new member, there could be a paragraph reminding potential members their first post must be an intro in ‘General’! Or not?  That’s up to the powers that be! And,  as 1460 says, ‘ Ignore a first poster question’. The information will still be there for the next person who asks the question. Food for thought?

I rest my case!

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1