GSX1100 Et Alternative Back Caliper

nickyboy.4

Is there an alternative caliper i can use for the back of my 1981 GSX1100ET. Both nipples are snapped off on mine and one piston is stuck fast-compressed air won't make it budge and unless i can get that out it's pointless retapping the bleed nipples, looking for a direct replace ment if anyone has any ideas?

On 2/19/2019 at 8:34 AM, nickyboy.4 said:

Is a grease gun likely to be more effective than using air pressure because it didn't want to move done that way?

Workshop compressed air - 120psi. Grease guns are good for up to 3500psi. Messy, but don't shoot pistons across the room, don't knock your hearing around and will actually move stuck pistons.

Am I missing something here cause if you drill out to fit grease nipple then the calliper will be toast anyway, chances are the piston will also be fucked if it won’t budge.

caliper splits into two halves, I’ve split it and applied release fluid, through the holes, whilst apart pad out your vice with two pieces of wood and see if the pistons will push in to initiate some movement and break the seal, if piston moves then fill the back of the piston with release fluid and rejoin both halves, clean off any fluid and heat behind the piston, as the fluid gets hot it will expand and with a bit of luck push the piston out, it worked for me.

5 minutes ago, ral said:

Am I missing something here cause if you drill out to fit grease nipple then the calliper will be toast anyway, chances are the piston will also be fucked if it won’t budge.

caliper splits into two halves, I’ve split it and applied release fluid, through the holes, whilst apart pad out your vice with two pieces of wood and see if the pistons will push in to initiate some movement and break the seal, if piston moves then fill the back of the piston with release fluid and rejoin both halves, clean off any fluid and heat behind the piston, as the fluid gets hot it will expand and with a bit of luck push the piston out, it worked for me.

You need to drill out the snapped bleed nipples. 

Then fit grease nipples the same size as the bleed nipples. 

Then when the grease has done the job swap back to bleed nipples. 

Jobs a good un. 

Sounds like the grease nipple way is easier if you have the correct grease gun, Nicky boy will need to drill and tap out the snapped of bleed nipples, not an  easy task. Think a GS1000 caliper is the same but beware old ones will also be a bugger to get out as well. :TB:

You don't need any grease nipples! Take out the banjo bolt.  Get an old fashioned 'lever type' grease gun. Unscrew the nozzle off the end of your grease gun hose, and screw the hose into the caliper gently.  Its not quite the right thread, but if you're carefull, it'll be fine. STOP when it stops! Pump away! If that won't shift it, nothing will! If you need to get pistons out of the opposite caliper half, split the caliper, make blanks out of thick rubber sheet, stick it in the vice, nipping the rubber up over the transfer ports.  (and use mole grips) if you need to (2 ports), pump away again. As your bleed nipples are paggered, you may have to free off the pistons in the banjo bolt side first, re-insert them, then make sure they're locked in the retracted position, hold them in this position whilst pumping again, and the opposite side will start to shift. You get the general idea. Never been beat using this method! 

Of course, if you know you're going to need pistons out, you could always try the bike own hydraulics first. You never know, maybe they'll pop right out ... or not!!! :banana:

Edited by Swiss Toni
  • Like 1