Small battery for slingshot

Swarf

Not sure about gel but I’ve bought one of those lithium ion ones it’s for the 92 gsxr as for some reason 90 gsxr equivalent was bigger but thought I’d give it a try anyway, it’s tiny tho, haven’t been able to start the bike yet tho as it’s not ready but accidentally hit the start button and it did turn over.

Have been using JMT LiFePO4 batteries for a number of years, not one problem - pays to make sure your charging system doesn't go regularly above 15v, this info is in the bumph that comes with the batteries. The three best things about Li batteries are the lack of weight (feels like an empty plastic box !), smaller size and unlike acid/acid.gel batteries take way over a year to show any lowering of power when left. They don't really need charging, I bought a clever charger that does any battery, but even the spare one I've got on a shelf hasn't really needed topping up with charge - I only use that battery to fire up one of the bikes I'm working on at the time. As J1B says they mustn't be allowed to fully drain, as they won't recover - it'll take a long time though.

The JMT batteries aren't expensive and are used on KTM bikes - if you buy any decent named make you'll be fine I reckon.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got 2 JMT Li batteries Jp85, had them a few years now, never a problem - maybe there was a charging problem with smoking battery ?  KTM use the JMT Li batteries on some of their bikes, if there was a problem they'd drop them I think -  plus there will be many thousands in use to get good feedback/or bad feedback if they weren't good. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the next lead/acid battery dies.