Oil coolers: branded v generic. Is the extra cost justified?

Dezza

I am going to buy a new 19 row 330 mm wide cooler (AN-10). As we know, generic items are freely available on the interwebs for about 40 quid a pop, whereas something like a HEL works out at double that. (Earls and it's just fucking silly money so no point in discussing that.) Has anyone any direct experience in quality differences between generic and branded coolers? Or do HEL just get the 40 quid ones in bulk, put a sticker on, and then offload them to mugs like me for a massive profit margin?

46 minutes ago, Dezza said:

I am going to buy a new 19 row 330 mm wide cooler (AN-10). As we know, generic items are freely available on the interwebs for about 40 quid a pop, whereas something like a HEL works out at double that. (Earls and it's just fucking silly money so no point in discussing that.) Has anyone any direct experience in quality differences between generic and branded coolers?

I,ve used ting tong ones with no issues ...on bikes cars ,excavators and other mobile plant .:tu

Or do HEL just get the 40 quid ones in bulk, put a sticker on, and then offload them to mugs like me for a massive profit margin?

Well they don't make them themselves or do they ? 9_9

• Like 1

Looks like I'll go with a 40 quid job. The last oil cooler I bought was about 30 years back and it's still going strong. I suspect that taking care to mount the things correctly and to route the pipes well have more of an effect on the likelihood of failure than the brand of cooler.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Had the Cheeepies on the SF, Yoshi, Efe, Drag bike & whatever comes next. Not a single problem.

Only issue i had was the cheep AN10 connector to it that blew off on shakedown & dumped 3L of oil over the garage floor :( 

Even the AN10 connectors and hoses wich came with the cooler are perfect on mine

I had problems with them busting on the Scratcher (turbo) went through about 3. Lot of vibrations through the braced 1986 gsxr 750 repaired frame. Solved problem by using Suzuki oil cooler rubber mounts rather than home made or direct bolt to frame at top mount like a lot of the after market ones.

Edited by clivegto
13 minutes ago, clivegto said:

I had problems with them busting on the Scratcher (turbo) went through about 3. Lot of vibrations through the braced 1986 gsxr 750 repaired frame. Solved problem by using Suzuki oil cooler rubber mounts rather than home made or direct bolt to frame at top mount like a lot of the after market ones.

These babies are your friend 

81495BEF-D941-499A-8983-4F842B4BC567.jpeg

• Like 1