The Dreaded EFE wobble

I had a 1986  EFE for 13 years and i replaced the stock head bearings with a quality tapper head race set soon after getting it. This improveed the handling of front end heaps but i still go a wobble on the bars when no handed  at 30mph  and under. I lived with it,not really a problem. However my son now has a 1984 EFE and it has a tapper head race fitted already {it may be worn out }  he has very bad intermittent wobbles that have gotten worse under braking at any speed and can feel whole bike wobble at just 60mph bends. Tyres are good, suspension is all good and front and rear setting are matched up right.  We shall get a new head race set anyway.  He is toying with idea ofva steering damper, Has any one got a recomendation of a good one that fits the EFE or any advice on the Dreaded EFE wobble, Thanks 

Have you made sure you have aligned the front wheel in the forks? If I remember correctly, the stock forks clamp the wheel spindle underneath on both sides so it's possible to tighten everything up and not have the spindle correctly aligned. If you loosen the spindle and clamps slightly, get someone else to sit on the bike and butt the front typre up againgst a wall, then tighten everything up. Also, does the bike have an oversize rear tyre? The E(EFE) came with 2 rim sizes for different markets so make sure you have the correct size back tyre on for the rim. Stock size for most markets was a 130. Go bigger than that and you are asking for trouble. When was the fork oil changed, and when were the rear suspension linkages greased? Check the wheel alignment with a straight edge. The marks on the swingarm, they tell lies, lies, lies. Does it still have the original shock? If so this is likely to be knackered. :) If all the stock chassis parts are good play about with tyre pressures, but the EFE is still never going to be as stable as a ZZR1100, especially at speed (remember the Australian recall?).