Messing about in the shed again

Sheep

It's that time of year again when I go into the shed and have a tinker on the bike while waiting for all the road salt to bugger off...

I have just finished yet another exhaust because my previous 'sidewinder' used to touch down on the road/track,slowing me down and giving all the oil boilers time to catch up ;)

I went for the more conventional downpipes style but going 4-2-2 with the silencers and went for some snide cans from China as I couldn't be asked to make those.To be far,they are pretty well made although they do little in keeping the thing quiet but hey ho...I still need to tweak the left side but it's quite difficult to see how things look when I am in the shed as it's not that big...It's times like this I wish I had a garage.

Everything is quickly detachable by springs which makes maintenance a lot easier.

The other thing I have noticed is the slightly different exhaust note from each silencer which I guess could help with diagnosis should the need arise...in fact it has helped already as the right side has an irregular pop and it turns out #4 is running different from the other three.This became apparent as the bike got hotter as can be seen from the pics...I was thinking perhaps it is getting too much fuel at idle as winding the mixture screw in all the way reduced the pops slightly but still the pipe didn't get as hot as the others....any other suggestion guys?...

51019874_10212361662988310_6515378092821708800_n.jpg.4af083c4b7e0d4ce2b65f2611aa4b574.jpg

50771287_10212361662308293_2720612592308453376_n.jpg.3664044c18ab482895329b587268c8bc.jpg

50846345_10212361661068262_932587753881731072_n.thumb.jpg.fb09bb1fe64677c17a8fa87cac88fd17.jpg

Edited by Sheep
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Mark28 said:

could be an air leak,what are the inlet manifolds like?

Like round tubes of solid granite when cold but otherwise ok...I reckon it's an idle/pilot issue because the bike clears its throat at 1/4 throttle on.The bike runs no different than the last time I took it out so I guess it has been like this for a little while.When I get the opportunity to run the bike at WOT the downpipe will colour and then 'look' to be running equally....I will give the bike a squirt of WD40 or the like around the intakes just to be sure mind.It may be prudent to give the valve clearances a check before Spring too.

I have given all the carbs a static sync every time I tamper/clean with them.I found it hard to sync them with a flow gauge but that may be down to rattly slides...I might look at the air gap in #4 to see if it needs tweaking.

2 hours ago, wraith said:

Got the same end can on my gsx1157et project and as you say, for the money they are well made.

I had to put in the little decibel killer to bring the noise down a little...Logic told me that two exhausts would be slightly quieter than one....Logic also told me that joining OSS would satisfy my motorcycle needs by showing me other examples of fine machinery and in turn quench my own appetite for spending lots of time and money on old suzuki's....how wrong I was  :D

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...