BST38 powerjet carbs

Bow

Right all,

whilst I’m waiting on some parts to turn up for my Turbo ET, I’ve been rebuilding my 1216 Bandit.

spec as follows:

wiseco 12:1  81mm pistons.Roger Upperton ported head, GSXR K cams dialled in.

carburation was taken care of by stage 3 dynojeted BST36s,  but as normal,  the kit is worn out. Now, I have in my possession a set of Powerjet 38s.  I’ve read the article on these in the archive, and a few google hits from the US.  I know to fit them I’ve got to have a play with my inlet manifolds, but that’s not a problem.

what I’m looking for is information,  real time experience from anyone who has used them on B12/ GSXR11.

pointers on base settings would be helpful,  but at the end of the day, once it’s back up and running, it will go back on the Dyno. 

Thoughts folks .

Thanks wraith.

After reading through some of the other OSS members trials with the 38s I’m wondering if they are going to be worth all the effort and cost.

i know my 36s inside out,  I still have all my stock internals,  and might go backward and re fit an airbox. Get shot of the dynojet crap and use Mikuni needles and jetting. Even if I have to have a play with the taper on the needles.

if the Holeshot kit was readily available over here I’d probably have a play with that.

Need to have a think on it,  and maybe do a bit more research.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:34 PM, Bow said:

Thanks wraith.

After reading through some of the other OSS members trials with the 38s I’m wondering if they are going to be worth all the effort and cost.

i know my 36s inside out,  I still have all my stock internals,  and might go backward and re fit an airbox. Get shot of the dynojet crap and use Mikuni needles and jetting. Even if I have to have a play with the taper on the needles.

if the Holeshot kit was readily available over here I’d probably have a play with that.

Need to have a think on it,  and maybe do a bit more research.

Sounds like good plan you can use dynojet springs, but use stock needles and emulsion tubes, yep put that airbox box and get all that acceleration back.

Edited by jonny1bump
On 1/21/2019 at 8:48 PM, Bow said:

Right all,

whilst I’m waiting on some parts to turn up for my Turbo ET, I’ve been rebuilding my 1216 Bandit.

spec as follows:

wiseco 12:1  81mm pistons.Roger Upperton ported head, GSXR K cams dialled in.

carburation was taken care of by stage 3 dynojeted BST36s,  but as normal,  the kit is worn out. Now, I have in my possession a set of Powerjet 38s.  I’ve read the article on these in the archive, and a few google hits from the US.  I know to fit them I’ve got to have a play with my inlet manifolds, but that’s not a problem.

what I’m looking for is information,  real time experience from anyone who has used them on B12/ GSXR11.

pointers on base settings would be helpful,  but at the end of the day, once it’s back up and running, it will go back on the Dyno. 

Thoughts folks .

Why not just ditch the dynojet shite, use standard needles springs etc, get a new set of hardened/coated emulsion tubes from NRP or Allens and set of jets to suit are £10 on eblag.

Bit of dyno time will be all you need, you can get stock 36's to work with any filter setup (needle height and main jet changes). A dynojet kit is just a marketing scam really imho.

Edited by MeanBean49
  • Like 2

Going to stick with my BST36s,  stick the air box back on and go back to stock needles.

replacement emulsion tubes, and start at 135 mains with 35 pilots,  the dynojet kit did its job whilst racing, but now I’m putting it back on the road I’d rather have an airbox. Got a few kicking about, so will have a play, maybe do the 2inch lid mod, and get it somewhere near before going on the dyno.

will keep you posted on how I get on,

i know,  just another Blandit ,  lol.

• 4 weeks later...

So,  a nice man decided he wanted a dynojet kit in his bandit,  and pulled his carbs to bits, and fitted said kit.  Asked for a little advice setting them up, and went away happy.

during a conversation with said nice fellow, he asked if I wanted the bits he took out of his carbs, and showed me what he had.  Immediately recognised a Holeshot kit, with very little mileage on it.  Being honest, I told him what he had,  so he sold me the lot for £50. 

Guess what’s going in my bandit ?

sometimes bargains do turn up.