Gs1000. Has mot now, but..

Ibbo

On 1/21/2019 at 12:29 PM, Jonboy said:

nice to see another GS1000 with a GSX donkey in it:pimp:

21230811_1575081069222591_2487011814403536735_n - Copy.jpg

21151682_1575081125889252_2220011880218799262_n.jpg

Everytime I see a GS like the white one it fair dinkum brings a tear to my eye. Had a similar one using GSXR  running gear, Sold it few years ago after 20 years of ownership, regretted it as soon as saw van driving up the road :-( Still it`s good to see another terrorising the open roads :-)

3 to 5mm between tyre and chain minimum is what I would go with, others may say different but that is my preference. A correctly tensioned chain will not exhibit any lateral movement so will not rub. Are you using an offset front sprocket ? and also using 530/525 or 520 pitch chain?

2 hours ago, Jonboy said:

3 to 5mm between tyre and chain minimum is what I would go with, others may say different but that is my preference. A correctly tensioned chain will not exhibit any lateral movement so will not rub. Are you using an offset front sprocket ? and also using 530/525 or 520 pitch chain?

Hi Jonboy 

I've got a flat 530 front sprocket. It's spaced out to the maximum, to still be able to use the locking tab as std.

I foolishly bought a 5/8 offset one, and it was way  too far over.  A slight offset maybe 2 mm wpuld let me turn the rear sprocket, then I think I would have enough room for a 180 rear tyre.

Edited by Ibbo
Spell check error

So, I am using a 3/8 offset front sprocket (about 10mm) but my swingarm etc very different to what you are running. The key for me was ensuring that front and back wheel were perfectly in line, from that point it was just a matter of working out the offsets needed. I spaced the engine very slighty biased towards the left hand side of frame (approx 3mm) to give the best advantage but still needed to use a 3/8 sprocket. Running a 170 tyre at momemt but have enough room to go bigger. Also dont forget that differnt makes of tyre will be dimensionally different. A 180 Michelin may not be the same as a 180 Pirelli  !! and also the aspect ratio can make a difference too.  

https://www.Eblag.com.au/itm/Adly-Herchee-Canyon-320-25-Zoll-D-CAT-Dot-Laser-Chain-Alignment-Tool/302687401901?hash=item46799337ad:g:2u4AAOSwsGlavR~k:rk:44:pf:0

Not sure if you and how you aligned your sprockets, but something like this is the only way to measure propperly, you put this on the front sprocket, because your rear sprocket can go on an angle and that screws up your alignment.

When I did mine I did it with strings and long pieces of timber, thought I did a good job, till I changed the rear fork bearings and deceided to have a check with that laser thingy, turned out it was out by over 5mm

Haha Should have known better. Timber warps!  I used a box section steel rod clamped to front sprocket & line up to the rear.

And also if the "rear sprocket" is on at an angle, what you really mean is the "Wheel" is not properly aligned.

Highly unlikely the sprocket is on at an angle, unless you really shouldn't be let near tools ;) 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, CockneyRick said:

Haha Should have known better. Timber warps!  I used a box section steel rod clamped to front sprocket & line up to the rear.

And also if the "rear sprocket" is on at an angle, what you really mean is the "Wheel" is not properly aligned.

Highly unlikely the sprocket is on at an angle, unless you really shouldn't be let near tools ;) 

I'm not even going to comment on this...

• Like 1
On 1/26/2019 at 11:03 PM, Reinhoud said:

https://www.Eblag.com.au/itm/Adly-Herchee-Canyon-320-25-Zoll-D-CAT-Dot-Laser-Chain-Alignment-Tool/302687401901?hash=item46799337ad:g:2u4AAOSwsGlavR~k:rk:44:pf:0

Not sure if you and how you aligned your sprockets, but something like this is the only way to measure propperly, you put this on the front sprocket, because your rear sprocket can go on an angle and that screws up your alignment.

When I did mine I did it with strings and long pieces of timber, thought I did a good job, till I changed the rear fork bearings and deceided to have a check with that laser thingy, turned out it was out by over 5mm

I used a bit of straight bar, 5mm x 25 mm ish. Laser seems worth a spin though to check.

The bike rides straight enough, and chains can run quute a bit out of line.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Ibbo said:

I used a bit of straight bar, 5mm x 25 mm ish. Laser seems worth a spin though to check.

The bike rides straight enough, and chains can run quute a bit out of line.

Steel bar isn't always straight, you have to check that before use..

My bikes ride was alright, but the chain didn't run straight, not sure how important that is, and what the tolerances are, but if you can get it straight, I would do it..

Thing is, with a long piece of bar on the sprocket it's easy to misagline, not saying it will, but with some length on it you don't need much to go out of line..

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a timing light, reset the ignition that was a few degrees out.

It's still kicking back on start up.

Any ideas?

Plus my cover doesn't fit properly, but the gasket does. The bottom bolt doesn't line up with the one on the crankcase. The engine no starts gs1100x if that helps.

15497122946538300839634020914448.jpg

15497123382562018803490871627665.jpg

15497122715929155156027505387048.jpg

One mystery solved any way.

I've re wired the kill switch so the starter is live when ignition on, so I can spin the starter, then put the ignition on. hopefully that will stop the kick back.

Now just need a new clutch hub, as the splines are worn on that. I only wanted to put some heavier clutch springs in.

• Like 1