GSXR 1100 Con Rods

Hi, I am in the process of building a GSXR 1100 M Turbo street fighter. My question is, does anybody have experience with what power the stock con rods in these 1127 motors are good to?

I am chasing some decent numbers (300bhp) and was looking at Carrillo but wanted to confirm the price tag was warranted and worth it..... Are there any other upgrade options like 493 or Busa rods etc that will fit this engine?

P.S. This bike will never see a road, only track use

Thanks

Edited by Mcelroy434

Some guys get away with stock rods ups to 300hp (not recommended ) Then they will use water-cooled rods or gen 1 Busa rods, but if its track only , get Carillos - very strong for anything over 250 hp and worth the price, which is bullshit since you can get 8  rods for a chevy for less. I think Crower still makes oil cooled rods to. Have not had good luck with Falicon rods. Worry more about doing a rocker head conversion.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mikeyd said:

Some guys get away with stock rods ups to 300hp (not recommended ) Then they will use water-cooled rods or gen 1 Busa rods, but if its track only , get Carillos - very strong for anything over 250 hp and worth the price, which is bullshit since you can get 8  rods for a chevy for less. I think Crower still makes oil cooled rods to. Have not had good luck with Falicon rods. Worry more about doing a rocker head conversion.

Thanks for the info, I may look at the Carrillo then, not worth the risk. I have looked into the head conversion, is there any threads or info you can point me to for the details of whats involved? unfortunately I dont know of any machine shops here in Australia that deal with older Japanese engines regularly who can assist.

My understanding is that the cams themselves need spacing out to stop lateral play but the fork rockers will slot onto the existing shafts, again may need spacers...

at that level of HP (300)…..the stock 1127 rods will most probably shit themselves very shortly….. 493's are an air cooled item which are pinned to roller bearing cranks so not even compatible with the oil cooled crankshaft.....busa rods can hold there own but from what I have researched  are a gamble up around  your target 300 …..Carrillo , Wossner ….to name a couple.....not too many big name manufacturers  making oil cooled gsxr rods anymore.....

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Mcelroy434 said:

Thanks for the info, I may look at the Carrillo then, not worth the risk. I have looked into the head conversion, is there any threads or info you can point me to for the details of whats involved? unfortunately I dont know of any machine shops here in Australia that deal with older Japanese engines regularly who can assist.

My understanding is that the cams themselves need spacing out to stop lateral play but the fork rockers will slot onto the existing shafts, again may need spacers...

easier just to put a rocker / tappet type head on than to fuck with machine shops .

• Like 1

Ive been running stock bandit 1200 rods in mine for 6 years, it makes upto 200lbs ft and 280bhp.

I did around 15000 miles of pretty hard use on what was already a 45000 mile abused motor.

Loads of track days, roaf miles and landspeed events

Only just let go end of last year, it was getting tired I just had to do one last trackday haha

Im now building a new motor with busa rods but thats more because I had a set than I think I need them.

Guess it all depends on what you want to use the bike for, drag racing might be harder on a motor when you arent running engines for long and have long swingarms to really hammer them on launch, for anything else good stick rods are pretty good, busa ones even better, Carillos imo overkill

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

What gave in out of interest ?

Still not stripped it, suspect its a big end shell finally given up the ghost, still running but has a bit of a knock. Its my own fault to be honest, had other motor almost ready to go, just couldnt be arsed to swap them over because weather was so good, rather be out ridning 

Just now, MeanBean49 said:

Still not stripped it, suspect its a big end shell finally given up the ghost, still running but has a bit of a knock. Its my own fault to be honest, had other motor almost ready to go, just couldnt be arsed to swap them over because weather was so good, rather be out ridning 

Result in a way then as not Carnage from a Rod then :tu

• 1 month later...