Earl's Cooler GS1150

Spirit

I'm looking to replace the standard Suzuki hotplate "cooler" with an Earl's cooler. I was thinking the 5"x8"x2" would replace the stock one or the 5"x13"x2". Anyone got experience on these? It's going to be for a touring bike, used in urban environments two-up, mild cams only. Help?

There's plenty of experience on here of people plumbing in larger aftermarket oil coolers. Do a search! A lot has been written about this and how to connect to cooler to the engine.

The size of the new cooler depends on your bike's need for cooling of course. Is the engine overheating (quickly/occasionally?) with the stock EFE/1150 oil cooler? Bigger isn't always better, especially if you ride the bike in cold weather (too) which will delay getting the engine up to temperature (which is why I use an oilstat).

The climate you're in, the way you ride the bike, on what roads/traffic you ride, and state of tune. These are all factors affect the amount of engine heat that needs to be shed.

The stock cooler is sufficient in mild climates on a stock bike. Overheating will occur only in (hot) summer and dense traffic /slow urban roads with a lot of waiting at traffic lights etc..