Roller bearing runout

Reinhoud

Gents,

I'm busy building up a GS1000 crankshaft, stronger con-rods.

According to the specs the runout should be 0.1mm max.

The sideway runout I've got to 0.04mm accurate, but the up and down (factory) runout is 0.28mm.

This far out of spec, does anyone had this seen before? I did mark all the parts, but even if I hadn't, it shouldn't be out this far..

Thanks

Maybe there is variation in bearing manufacturers. I say this because when I recently rebuilt a small two stroke and replaced the main bearings I had to source a thinner end float shim or otherwise the crankshaft locked when I tightened the cases. Presumably this was due to different manufacturing tolerances between different bearing manufacturers, even though I used good quality bearings (SKF).

• 1 month later...

So... Got myself another crankshaft....

After pressing it together I had the same problem, only the runout wasn't as bad as the previous crank...

That means the mistake must be me :(;)

Did some measuring, turned out pressing it together didn't go as straight as I hoped for.

A little bit on an angle causes the runout, now all is within 0.03mm.

Problem solved.

• 1 year later...

I did do the indexing completely different.

I have a set of old crankcases and cylinders and pistons, I build that all up, and used 2 dial indicators to see when the pistons stopped and started to move.

The thing was that the pistons could stop equally, but started differently, it doesn't sound logic, but I had to find a way in between that.

It wasn't very hard, mostly time consuming, it was a very interesting job to do.

• Like 2