Turbo charging my B12

Try one from Volvo. T5or v70 its Mitsubishi (13150) made unit. Get a straight flange  Td04hl-16t  . It's built in blow off valve. Cheap enough unit and good for 350bhp.

yer iv been looking for something like that. found a td04 11g and a TD04L-12t and a TD04L-14T with the built in wastegate and blow off valve. 

would one of these be good?

Edited by majortom4
add more

Great stuff,  malpassi regulator and car type inline fuel pump will do, and regulator set to 2psi ish. One other thing worth noting you (WILL) need at least one if not two 1"breathers either off clutch cover As these boosted motors need it. Some use catch bottle/tank others to atmosphere via filter. 

Keep it going chief you will never look back once you ride it anger. !!!

Hopefully have a malapassi reg on the way soon. Got a fuel pump orders which goes up to 55 psi, got a clutch cover breaker already on bike, filters to atmosphere with a filter.

what material should I make the plenum out of? Got an idea of either 2mm aluminium or 2mm steel?? Steel for strength but aluminium for weight saving. Or maybe 3mm aluminium??

Alloy looks better and yes lighter! Guess it's upto you personal choice an all that. 3mm He30 soft easy to work. 

cheers dude. Going to mock one up in card soon to see how it fits then when metal comes can cut it all out and find someone kind to weld it for me. Anyone in Derby able to weld and need a new friend?

• Like 1

so after an afternoon messing around with some card, i have mocked up a plenum chamber, waiting for aluminium to come now. what do you guys think?

Just wondering, do you think i can use the standard rubbers like in the pic or do you think ill need to put some metal tubes in place and use rubbers on the outside?

Almost forgot, i am so glad that that bloody airbox will never EVER be going back on my bike, that thing almost got cut up to get it out.......... (im sure there is an easy way that i missed but hey)

plenum 3.jpg

plenum 4.jpg

Edited by majortom4

If you are going to 'end feed', its best to taper down towards the last carb to keep the airflows a bit sensible - centre feed is an option cos a) it reduces that effect and b) you don't keep bashing your knee on it! Dunno about pitot size - 3/8 or 10mm max rings a bell? Air inlet - no smaller than turbo outlet - why strangle it? and larger only reduces pressure and gets re-strangled at the plenum. Gas speed helps pitot function IMO.

gave them a chop to get rid of the big boxy bit to find out they are twin walled........ o feck!

noticed there is a weld at the start which looks like it is holding the inside pipe in, you think i should grind this weld and try to take the inside pipe out or leave it in for strength?? takes it from 35mm ID to 25mm ID. you think this is too small?

all the bends line up nicely  tho and should make the fabricating part easy,

downpipes 3.jpg

downpipes 4.jpg

downpipes 5.jpg

downpipes 6.jpg

downpipes 7.jpg

plenum 3.jpg

plenum 4.jpg

Edited by majortom4

Mate, hate to say it, but I think that bandit pipe isn't any good for fabricating a header. I used a cheap gsxr750w 4 into 1 header (single skin) to fabricate my first header and that worked out ok, but can't see that that double skin pipe is workable.  Either find another cheap single skin exhaust or find s supplier of pipe bends and start from scratch.

Mate, hate to say it, but I think that bandit pipe isn't any good for fabricating a header. I used a cheap gsxr750w 4 into 1 header (single skin) to fabricate my first header and that worked out ok, but can't see that that double skin pipe is workable.  Either find another cheap single skin exhaust or find s supplier of pipe bends and start from scratch.

oooo well that sucks.

didnt know it was double skin when I bought it, thought I would be on to a winner being able to use the standard bends to my advantage.

might mess around with it for now to see what I can do while waiting for parts to be delivered. Then if it fails order some new stuff to make it with.

you should have asked on here before buying

facepalm.gif

yer I know that now haha. Just saw it for cheap and though it would be a good shout.

talked to my weldy friend, he said it would be possible to chop the end off, remove the inside tube and use the outside one for the manifold. I don't really wanna just bin it as the bends are nice in it and seen to line up pretty nicely.

Anyone about the Wideband AFR gauge?

If you are looking for an AFR gauge, not just wideband controller, then Innovate MTX-L is one good choice. Reasonably priced and watertight.

I wouldn't use stock headers for turbo manifold. Usually the bends aren't tight enough to get the turbo high enough for gravity drain. Of course this isn't important if you are going to use a scavenge pump any ways. In addition it's a good idea to use quite thick walled tubing unless you are going to build additional support to carry weight of the turbo. 

If you are looking for an AFR gauge, not just wideband controller, then Innovate MTX-L is one good choice. Reasonably priced and watertight.

I wouldn't use stock headers for turbo manifold. Usually the bends aren't tight enough to get the turbo high enough for gravity drain. Of course this isn't important if you are going to use a scavenge pump any ways. In addition it's a good idea to use quite thick walled tubing unless you are going to build additional support to carry weight of the turbo. 

I am looking for the whole shebang for the AFR gauge, controller, sensor etc. was just looking for personal opinions. 

Yer I think I may be using a bracket to hold the turbo up and probably a scavenge pump.

if not using the down pipes I was looking at using 2mm thick mild steel tubing for the manifold. Would that be suitable?