Best place to source crank bearing shells?

VJ

Im building a spare gsx1100g motor at the moment and a quick google shows that the bearing shells are the same for all OSS engines. Does anyone know the cheapest way to get the right set of shells in there? I have cases and a crank, im not sure if the crank came from these cases although I bought them from the same seller.

Cheers

John

Edited by VJ

'same for all OSS engines' is a broad sweeping statement and NOT factually correct! The Hippo engine was based on the 1127 cc engined GSXR family series - nothing else! 

If the crank is unknown then you can use the references stamped on the cases to give one half of the bearing sizing information but the crank journals need to be measured accurately to determine the ID bearing size required. Then you'll have to use a sizing chart to determine the correct sizing - there are 3 sizes available for the mains and 3 sizes for the rod big ends - so lots of combinations.

Unlike with cars, lorries etc. bearings are generally only available OEM - no aftermarket suppliers, no shortcuts!

I stand corrected, that'l teach me to believe an Eblag advert :$

Cool so i need my manual for the comparison chart and then a 25-50 micrometer on the journals and then i should be good to go? Rods are in place on this crank so at least thats saved some money.

Any preferred supplier for the shells?

Cheers

John