1980 GS1000LT petcock ?

Smokey74

Hey all.. New to this forum. Searched everywhere and trying to confirm the proper petcock and possibly complete a swap to non-vacuum type.  I've attached a picture of my petcock. Changing the position with a scewdriver does nothing. Bike runs great and no issues but I would prefer a petcock that I can actually turn off.  I read somewhere about a Raptor petcock swap but wasn't able yo confirm what bikes that works on.  Any help or links would be appreciated.  My 80 GS badge indicates GS1000L but my local dealer says it is actually an LT.  It's my 80's throwback "cruiser" when I take the wife out. When I want to go fast I have my 2016 GSX1000.   

20181221_142304.jpg

20181215_164932.jpg

* pic of newskool Suzuki deleted *

Edited by Captain Chaos

If you do find one, I'd be interested. I think the spacing for these is 50mm and I don't know of a petrol tap that will work. This has been discussed in other places often.

The earlier tap is 44mm and doesn't fit. :(

Your bike is a GLT, being a 1980, shafty cruiser.

Edited by gs7_11
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

If you do find one, I'd be interested. I think the spacing for these is 50mm and I don't know of a petrol tap that will work. This has been discussed in other places often.

Thanks for the info..   At this point if I could just find out how to properly use and/or adjust the stock petcock it would make me feel better.  I can turn this thing multiple times and set in any position and it runs the same.  I measured it on the bike without removing the tank and it appears you are correct at 50mm.

5 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

My research indicates petcocks from any Suzuki GS550LT (80), GS750ET/LT (80), GS850GLT (80), GS1000ET/GLT/ST (80) or GS1100ET/LT (80) are the same 50mm spacing and OEM fitment.  Now I'm just trying to figure out which of those are non-vacuum type..   If anyone knows for sure, please speak up.  Thanks!

I dont think any of those are non-vacuum.  Not only that, I don't think any of those have on/off/reserve settings either.

Unfortunately, Suzuki only seem to have produced the prime/on type of tap, as yours, in 50mm spacing.

Oh yeah, that's what the settings are on yours, on  and prime, prime being on with engine stopped.

9 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

I dont think any of those are non-vacuum.  Not only that, I don't think any of those have on/off/reserve settings either.

Unfortunately, Suzuki only seem to have produced the prime/on type of tap, as yours, in 50mm spacing.

Oh yeah, that's what the settings are on yours, on  and prime, prime being on with engine stopped.

Well.. this blows

10 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

I was under the impression that you could use a Yamaha petcock. Don't remember the model. Google it. Came across it when I refurbished mine last year 

I found that info too but not accurate for my model.. 50mm bolt spacing. Yamaha 43 or 44mm. Don't remember exact at the moment but it wouldn't work. 

18 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

Take a look at this post from @Fjbj40 regarding moving the petcock from the tank, inline with carbs. 

Nice! Thanks..

I was actually just talking to a buddy today about possibly making one.  It's not an urgent issue for me but something I want to deal with by spring.  I'm currently making minor rust repairs and  doing a fender delete.  I know it's sacrilegious to modify an unmolested 38 y/o GS but I just couldn't take that big chrome fender and shoebox light.  I'm trying to make the mods in a way that still looks period correct so no LED's, etc.. I have a few parts on order and a piece to fabricate for the new tail but it's already looking better.  Seat is out being repaired too. 

20190105_123349.jpg

20190106_141121.jpg

20190106_143121.jpg

• Like 2

On my 78 gs1000e iv got a vacuum tap wit prime , on and reserve 

The vacuum diaphram kept leaking and flooding the nr3 cil. so iv put a strong spting on the diaphram ? disconnected and blocked the vacuum hose an put an inline filter ( as the intank filter is out ) 

Now prime is on and on is off ...

20190110_233647.jpg

On 1/10/2019 at 4:37 PM, Wolf said:

On my 78 gs1000e iv got a vacuum tap wit prime , on and reserve 

The vacuum diaphram kept leaking and flooding the nr3 cil. so iv put a strong spting on the diaphram ? disconnected and blocked the vacuum hose an put an inline filter ( as the intank filter is out ) 

Now prime is on and on is off ...

20190110_233647.jpg

I'm sorry but I don't follow.. What did you do to the diaphragm?? My buddy has that petcock on his GS850L.  Not the same as mine but the same process should work.  

On 1/13/2019 at 11:40 PM, Smokey74 said:

I'm sorry but I don't follow.. What did you do to the diaphragm?? My buddy has that petcock on his GS850L.  Not the same as mine but the same process should work.  

Fit a new O ring to the brass  bit and put a srong spring behind it so it can not open remove and block off vacuum from carb 

Then On is off and Prime is on 

• Like 1
On 1/17/2019 at 7:42 AM, gs7_11 said:

That's ok on the 44mm type which have a lever, but the OP's tap is the later 50mm type with no lever, so you'd have to carry a screwdriver to turn the petrol off.

I still don't know of a 50mm type that has a lever and a reserve position. :(

I believe the 80 850glt has the lever and is 50mm.  My plan was to get one and try to modify as noted by Wolf. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 1/3/2019 at 10:56 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Hi and welcome to OSS.

What's the spacing between the fuel tap mounting holes?

50mm between screw holes. These gasket O Rings seem impossible to find outside of buying a complete unit for $55+. The complete petcock is available on Eblag. Just Google search "Suzuki 50mm vacuum fuel petcock" to find purchase options. I'm including a photo of the correct gasket with measurements. I'm currently contacting sellers if they have the O Ring gasket available for sale. So far, no luck. I suggest you use my measurements when contacting possible sellers. Good luck.

gas ring measure.jpg

Edited by phil7782
mispelling