ET turbo drag bike

Bow

Well,  been a while folks,  progress is still slow, but the project did make an outing for the Suzuki weekend at Cadwell and was on the OSS stand for the duration of the weekend.

trouble is, having 2 drag bikes,  and the Bandit has taken presidency due to running and leading the Straightliners 11.10 championship. 

The poor old GSX has had some work though,  building the clubfoot swingarm,  machining bushes and spacers, and started working out the electrics positioning as there is a fair amount to fit in a limited space.  

Top tube has been designated as the air tank for the shifter, so that needs pressure testing once I have the shrader valve fitting in place. 

Not a lot else to report for now,  have considered just chucking my high comp Nos motor in it for now,  just to test the chassis setup,  before I go killing myself with the monster turbo/ Nos assembly,  time will tell.

well,  van is packed ready for this weekend,  East Kirkby is calling,  got a championship lead to hopefully maintain.

later folks .

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well,  due to financial restraints, Ie. I’m bloody skint again and broke my van. This project has been shelved.

Turbo kit now going on my Bandit drag bike,  and the rest either sold or hanging in the workshop as wall art.

best laid plans of mice and men .  Racing ain’t cheep, and husbandry gets priority .

• 2 months later...

So,  as stated, the ET got sold off in bits,  van got repaired, and my wallet started to recover.  Finished off the season, still on the bandit 1216 and won my championship.

so, looked through all the shit I’ve accumulated, and , a chance conversation with Loopie saw me with my original comp bike frame back in my collection. 

Walked out of his unit, checked face book whilst sitting in the van, and low and behold, an EFE 1 piece body up for grabs at a silly cheap price.  Boom, on it and purchased.

So,  frame, check.

Body, check.

1216 low comp set up sitting on the shelf anyway, as I’ve been saving it for the turbo build .  Have a spare motor under the bench that has an oil pressure problem,  so that will be stripped and rebuilt from the ground up,  wiseco genuine turbo pistons,  H/D studs all round, FBM lock up, as always.  Now for the twist,  going to be trying out the MaxSpeed H beam rods.  I know of 2 turbo bikes that have them,  and neither have had any issues.  Worth a go me thinks.  

Ignition is going to be as basic as it gets,  Bandit , plain and simple handmade loom, as minimalist as possible,  will be self starting,  as can’t be doing with all the hassle of starter carts and needing assistance just to fire the bike up.

Drawthrough turbo,  but nowhere near as big as the one that was going into the ET. No NOS on this one,  to much buggering about getting bottles filled, and swapping them about. Beside that, I sold it all, pmsl.

its going to be a Bar and Slick bike,  cause I still lust for one,  rolling stock is all bandit, because I’ve got it,  and the clubfoot arm is the one I fabbed up for the ET.

Everything will work , with a bit of fabrication and the aid of the grinder and metal sticky machines.

So,  let’s see how far I get with this one, before something fucks it all up,  LOL.

catch ya later folks.

EBBEA492-5C25-4068-8CB3-1C82FB820384.jpeg

EEF28253-36DF-444D-B04F-8E54D56AA432.jpeg

F8CBA688-A8FF-4C66-90B3-0538EDC7E10C.jpeg

97DA56B0-FCCE-4596-8A62-E18ED9312E3F.jpeg

Edited by Bow
Pics added
  • Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

Well,  a bit more done over the weekend,  and PaulM collected a big part of the build for me. after a conversation in the unit, and he kept saying it would look good with a fairing.  Then hey ho,  one becomes available in the sales section,  messages sent, and deals struck,  I have one .

must say,  I do like the looks of it.

more fab required,  seat frame needs to be built,  electrics box , and then shorten the forks and sort everything else.   Going to be a busy chrimbo in the workshop.

later folks 

D5811DD2-C7B0-460F-8FDD-DCACF4B24ED3.jpeg

DDAD0908-28AA-4C66-9533-EBBC6E6D2768.jpeg

B2FF0E1E-D906-4666-BED9-FC5048980055.jpeg

• Like 11
  • 1 month later...

I’m keeping the fairing,  I do prefer the look.

progress has come to a standstill at the moment as I’ve been busy sorting jobs on other folks projects. But I’m still collecting parts that I want for the old school look.  

Wont be able to hide the fact it’s an oil boiler though,  much to some folks dismay. Just can’t warrant buying an old aircooled motor and chucking a lot of money at it.  At least with my bandit motors I have a workshop full of motors and spares.  Makes sense to use what I’ve got.

next job on the list is to sort the rear subframe, and get the body line right.  So need to fit the slick to a wheel and then stare at it with a coffee in my hand, and a fag in my gob.

Everything for the engine build is now on the shelf,  34mm tin tops on the bench ready for inspection and clean/rebuild.

im a bit behind where I wanted to be,  but there is no rush,  still have the bandit to run at the start of the season.  

Later folks,  

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been shelved for now Paul,  moving workshops, and gone self employed, completely at the wrong time, has ment one of the bikes has had to go on hold, and the EfE is the one chosen.

All spare funds are going into the Turbo Blandit drag bike as on my other post. But this will be done eventually,  as the majority of the required kit is being replaced on the Bandit, so will be stored along with the Efe, until circumstances allow the completion.

Lifes anything but simple xD

• 11 months later...

Been a while since I updated this,  lots of changes,  and plans changed.

Still building an ET turbo drag bike, 1216 motor, but blowthrough kit now, GT28/60, wiseco turbo pistons, Arrow rods, and a total rebuilt motor.

Quite a few months ago, a certain chassis and bodywork was offered, and I decided I could not refuse it,  so all the old stuff was sold on, and Rusty ET came into my possession.

I’ve kept it on the shelf, until ready to start the build,  and it’s now on the floor, being assembled,  not going to be a quick build, as I’ve got my Efe road bike to finish, but progress is being made.  Like the Efe, this one is staying in the family,  as it is finally home again,  and I can’t see me racing this year, Neil I get the thumbs up from the Doctor and get my ACU licence back.

I’ll leave a couple of pics, just to wet the appetite, and more to come.

05C97B71-C4EC-4D0A-B576-517D57F77C49.jpeg

913D0C0D-CB86-4130-B290-824F571AD5EB.jpeg

9A0EBEB3-0A2D-42A3-8991-D93B3D001929.jpeg

1797570F-F9F4-42C7-8309-1D9551CB7F14.jpeg

• Like 6