ET turbo drag bike

Bow

Well,  don’t normally post, but time to get on with my new build.

been collecting bits for the last 12 months to build this.  Started with a chassis from a mate, that a lot of folk know.  Took all the bits off that made it his bike, and got rid. Leaving me with the frame and fire blade running gear.

Now a few of you know me for my love of Bandits,  and why should this new build be any different.  Will have a 1216 bandit motor, old school drawthrough turbo setup built by Mr Dunlop, one piece fibreglass body, and run a 7” slick plus wheelie bars.

all the electrics are taken care of by the Dynatek setup I’ve been assembling.

Its early days, and at the mo it’s just a rolling chassis.

Once the barrels are back from the machine shop, the motor will be built.

lets see how this one turns out.

all the best one and all.

08153812-DF1A-4848-9883-624C93D5B887.jpeg

• Like 11

I’m looking forward to riding it.

big learning curve this time though,  my first turbo bike, and first wheeliebar and square slick bike. Going to be interesting, after 3 years on the bandit, and the year on the Busa.

guess you could class it as a resto pro stock.  

So,  I’ve now purchased a set of wheelie bars,  so that should be the last of the required big parts for the bike.

next decision to make is weather I run total loss ignition with a remote starter, or to keep an alternator and run a basic loom.  Had intended on total loss , due to the weight it would save,  but I’m no light weight myself, so probably best keeping a basic charging circuit and loose a few kilos off my fat arse.

paint is a no brainier,  I know the direction I’m going,  proper retro, Pip Highams GSX is the inspiration.

B389B7E8-C227-481B-BC31-8B27D350C864.jpeg

• Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

finally have my block back from SEP.  Fresh and ready for the new motor build.  

Things have been slow on the build side of things as I work out how I want things. Swing arm is being swapped out for the one I ran in my Bandit.  Same length arm, but has longer slots, and certainly looks a lot better. Picked up a pair of Grumpys weld on shock mounts so I can run the struts I’m yet to fab.

Motor spec has changed slightly, as I’ve come across a better set of Hbeam rods, so pistons will be upgraded to match.

more time, more money,  but future proofing the motor , for what I have intended for it.

and it’s now on the bench, so next weekend get the slick fitted, get a motor in the chassis, and set the ride height.

Finaly getting on,  slow progress,  but it is progressing.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a little update.

not much has changed on the ET,  dummy engine is now in the frame, with engine mounts finaly sorted. Engine centralised in the frame and sitting slightly lower than most folk fit them. 

Weight distrabution is critical on this one due to running the square slick. Bike should be able to stand up balanced on its tyre.  Only time will tell.

had a bigger issue with the chain alignment than anticipated,  and after a lot of head scratching and measuring, it has become apparent that unless I do a fair amount of machining to the sprocket carrier it is not going to work. So, I’ve swapped out the fireblade rolling stock and gone for a Bandit/GSXR combination.  Forks are GSXR1100m, running a bandit wheel, with a matching Bandit 12 wheel in the rear, along with the alloy swing arm I used to run in my Bandit dragbike.  Forks will be shortened by 60 mil, to give the desired ride height, and running a single disc on the front end.  The steering stem was a pain in the arse,  but after loads of bad language and knuckle bashing, got it sorted.

next job will be sorting the strut mounts for the swing arm, and fabbing some struts,  fit the slick and get the ride height set.

slow progress,  but at least it’s progressing.

later folks.

32 minutes ago, Bow said:

Forks are GSXR1100m, running a bandit wheel, with a matching Bandit 12 wheel in the rear, along with the alloy swing arm I used to run in my Bandit dragbike.  Forks will be shortened by 60 mil, to give the desired ride height, and running a single disc on the front end.

Just a thought - 1100M forks aren't the lightest things + the mods required is a lot of effort - Have you considered a lighter weight RWU set-up ........ Kev used a set of 125 forks on his CompBike, although up to 250 would still be appropriate. If the overall weight is low it's easier to accelerate  - big advantage in drag racing.

Reason I used the 1100m front end,  it’s what I had to hand.

going to look into alternatives once I’ve built some funds back up.  Spent far more than I intended already, lol.  So much for my budget racing.

had the same problem 2 years ago on the budget BUSA.  I get a bit carried away, and boom, before you know it I’ve blown 5k on a pretty looking dragbike I did not get on with, got bored with, and got fed up having to plug a laptop into it to make any changes.

swapped it for my turbo kit in the end.

1483C9E5-ED2A-4407-8FD2-223553BC83BC.jpeg

87911365-615B-4720-913B-88DEF221AE9C.jpeg

35ABC8A0-1888-4FEA-B7B6-0E792AB9574B.jpeg

Will be running a 20 shot to start with,  just to spool it up that little bit quicker.

the NoS, along with the Gt40, and the super G carb should make it interesting.  Coupled to the 1216 motor.

God only knows what horsepower I’ll end up with,  already upgraded the rods and pistons from the Gen2 Busa kit I originally bought for it.  

And yup,  I’m addicted to drag racing,  if my budget was endless I’d be building a funny bike. But I’ll stick with the Pro Comp Extreme,  and running with Straightliners,  we have a good crowd and have a good laugh.  

• Like 3

Headers are bespoke FastByMe , being built by Mr Dunlop. The whole idea that started this build off was a modern kit bespoke built by Dave to replicate the Mr Turbo kit.  

I have a passion for the early 80s drag bikes whith slick and bars. But wanted it to be different.  Pricing was a major factor, so using a GSX motor was not an option, the price of a used motor, along with the cost to tune one, was way over the top. Add to that the weight of the motor,  compared to a later GSXR/Bandit motor, was an easy decision, more so in the fact, I have a lot of Bandits parts kicking about.

most of my bikes I run slammed and stretched,  harks back to my youth and running low riders and chops.

hope to get it out in the daylight on Saturday to get some better pics now it’s a rolling chassis.