Has anybody?

Havoc

Guest YoshiJohnny

the frame rails top and bottom need cutting and extending as the air cooled lump is huge compared to the oil cooled one and simply won't go in the hole. Then you need to line the front downtubes so the exhausts don't foul and make the engine mounts. I don't remember if there is a width issue somewhere too. I know it's been done but it was a lot of work, I always wanted to do it as a replacement for the XR41 but lacked the blue glue skills...

Mr Kent is your man

12 minutes ago, YoshiJohnny said:

the frame rails top and bottom need cutting and extending as the air cooled lump is huge compared to the oil cooled one and simply won't go in the hole. Then you need to line the front downtubes so the exhausts don't foul and make the engine mounts.

Like putting an FJ in a GSX then :) but ally. I do have access to 2 chopped up Slabby frames so sourcing short lengths of the necessary extrusion won't be an issue. I've got other stuff to do first, like rebuild the engine and the shafty to fiddle with.

59 minutes ago, vizman said:

wtf were you drinking over the silly season?

I've been more sober over the last couple of months than at any other point in the last 35 years... X

Never heard of anyone trying but seeing the 4" gap front to back when doing the reverse, its deffo gonna need stretching - then the GSX motor is also taller than even the 1100 oiler, that dimension is going to be a squeeze as well i'd imagine.......can't actually see the appeal as it weighs lots more!

I'm struggling to see a 'first generation' frame there! More akin to a pre-prototype frame, factory built to go racing with a GS motor full of magnesium, one off, ltwt. castings - as a GS thou motor just will not fit into a std production Gen 1 GSXR frame as we all know! The XR41 frame looks more like a Harris with square tube...............could even be steel for all I know LOL!

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

I'm struggling to see a 'first generation' frame there!

He started the frame surgery after about 8 pages. Not very neat though. I will do the same dimension changes to top rails, bottom rails and  front rails but so as you'll not be able to tell. It'll be cool :) I have a cut up frame to nick correct extrusion bits from. Head stock will be about 6mm higher than stock, will not overly effect rake with standard forks. The new CNC router at work will make the slugs...