preparations for a turbo bandit questions.

I hear ya. But it's just a clutch. I'll keep the oil changed and if the clutch thats in there gets fried. I'll be sure to get a better one.

http://www.proboost.fi/?p=33

anyway here's the kit. scroll down. the Bandit street kit. I dont really have any local connections in this. Who's gonna make the plenum and manifold and pressure fittings and figure out whats the right fuel pump and where to start with tuning. So the way this is looking so far is buying a kit. This kit...

any objections? better ideas?

I do wish it came with an intercooler...

coming from someone who's in the same boat as you @boilerdude I can see the appeal, but there looks to be a huge difference in quality in reference to the design of the manifolds from kit to kit. If you compare the busa kit manifolds to the bandit ones the busa kits are much prettier and they just look like they flow and perform so much better than the bandit ones. I understand the restraints of space but for that price, I'd expect a awesome flowing manifold.

At the end of the day it's your build, your time and your money, you know what you have in mind and what your expecting from a turbo bandit. if your happy with it go for it. Your always going to get different pros and cons from a forum full of people. 

I have heard nothing but good things about Mr Dunlop. It wouldn't hurt to get a price for a bolt on kit from him before you take the plunge? 

I'm sort of puzzled by their quoted rwhp figures 226hp @ 0.4bar boost and 362hp @ 1.3bar !!! A N/A engine making 125hp (bloody good for a bandit) is only taking in an additional 40% air/fuel so should only make another 50hp so how is it possible? Likewise that same engine (which actually has to be de-compressed to cope) is taking 130% more air/fuel so potentially adds 150hp = 275hp ???

Even Busa engines decompressed a bit only hit close to 300 @ 1 bar boost - just saying the #'s don't stack up. I know what it takes to make 370hp and its considerably more than offered in those kits - just saying!

• Like 1

from what I hear their quality is improving. A good friend of mine on CF had seen one of their more recent kits and said the manifold was a work of art compared to the old one. I'll see if I can get him to send me a picture of said bike and who knows maybe they still have the old one pictured but perhaps the kit actually comes with more refined stuff... I'm definitely going to take my time on selecting while I get the engine done up.

It wont be done tomorrow... but man I want that rush. And who are we kidding. I also want to be that guy with a turbo bandit around here lofting 4th and 5th gear wheelies with 16 43 maybe 16 42 sprockets. Not big wheelies you know just little ones while I hover away from foes and feed into it. Yea you guys are right about the clutch. But hey first things first...

Edited by boilerdude

I emailed that dave dunlop feller. Try to get some sort of a ballpark estimate.  I would like to try to keep this whole thing said and done under $5 american.

Or else why dont I just buy a hyperbike and get on with life... Is the turbo bandit worth a certain amount of money when the bird or the busa is well... already engineered to be a highway bomber including better more stable suspension and chassis. nevermind the actual suspension components but the geometry of the whole layout is vastly superior. and aero... I know we're talking about a substantial difference in power. but still.  You guys know what I mean. The bandit has an engine. And then suzuki "bent" a frame around that engine that is "adequate" and allows for easy maintenence. And nevermind the horrid suspension and swingarm that flexes like a pair of tweezers they actually attached to it...

You get the idea. I love things for what they are. But I also see them for what they are or at least I like to think. I love the bandit for what it is. The only thing manlier than a built air/oil cooled suzuki is a boosted air/oil cooled suzuki. but there is definitely more work needed in this than just the motor and turbo setup.

I do want to carry through with this. but I dont have thousands upon thousands upon more and more and more thousands to just throw at just one attribute of the motorcycle. You understand. I have 4-5000 but much further past that I might start saying "is this really worth a 200 hp blandit or should I just get a busa put a bunch of lame monster energy drink stickers on it and call it a day..."

Just making that point before I take the full dive. Not to be debby downer. Just keeping my eccentricities in double check for a moment while I ponder...

stuff is awful pricey for some welded pipes and boost tubes and fittings and a turbo. there I said it. Decisions are decisions. Decidedly you could say I havent fully decided until Ive bought a little bit more than $100 set of busa pistons... arent I a witty fuck... Yea that was lame sorry lol.

If dave's quotes are "too far past the 5 mark". I may still have my eye on that proboost kit and go from there. Aside from that. I take my time with big decisions is all. What I consider big decisions anyway. To some people 5k is a nickel and thats fine. It's probably my fault I'm not pimpin that hard. But anyway you get what I'm saying sorry for all the words. bla bla bla try to go easy on my wallet. 

Edited by boilerdude

To be honest it sounds like youre talking yourself out of it. You will spend thousands on a build like this, things break, things wear and ultimately everything will. Regardless of them being new or 15+ years old standard or cheap aftermarket parts aren't designed to be holding big boost. If your really are on a tight budget then you'll probably be best just going out and buying a rough muscle bike. Like a gen 1 busa, or save an extra few months and get gen 1 Bmw 1000rr. As you say they'll out perform most bikes straight out of the box, but undertaking a project like this, for me, isn't solely about the performance, It's about knowing the machine inside and out, putting that work in, planning it, having the excitement of gathering that parts and the knowledge then finally putting it all together to be able to go out and ride it and say to people "I build this".

Then 3 months and 1000miles down the line if I have something fail or break while caught in the rain, not to start to think "I should have bought a busa" but rather "right that happened so I'll rebuild this and upgrade that" and then get excited to work on her again. 

At the end of the day most things like this are money pits. It's what you personally value the whole experience at that will be the decisive factor if it's ever finished or even started. I'm not saying it can't be done on a budget, but if you don't have a garage full of spares, loads of handy mates and get things perfect first time, then things will soon start to get expensive.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm alittle embarrassed to say lol. You're gonna be like "ah christ this guy again"

Frenchfries...

So anyway I got ahold of double D. He quoted a "ride in - ride out" price of £2150. Which is Just under 3300. Including the clutch and most of all including the fact that ride in-ride out that means all installed by him as well which is awesome. Thats a killer deal. Problem is I'm here in the states. He's over there in the UK... I was kinda hoping against hope that he could weld up a kit somehow without my bike actually being there... Or that maybe he already had some duplicate manifold and clutch stuffs made already. And you know ship it out this way. But no reply so far about that...

Edited by boilerdude

I'm alittle embarrassed to say lol. You're gonna be like "ah christ this guy again"

Frenchfries...

So anyway I got ahold of double D. He quoted a "ride in - ride out" price of £2150. Which is Just under 3300. Including the clutch and most of all including the fact that ride in-ride out that means all installed by him as well which is awesome. Thats a killer deal. Problem is I'm here in the states. He's over there in the UK... I was kinda hoping against hope that he could weld up a kit somehow without my bike actually being there... Or that maybe he already had some duplicate manifold and clutch stuffs made already. And you know ship it out this way. But no reply so far about that...

Shouldnt be a problem for him to make and send out a kit.Got a kit from him for my Mk1 bandit a while back and I live in Alberta, Canada.Great guy to deal with and will help you to get it set up and running.Any questions you may have , he will answer.

Well it's taken him like a week to respond to one simple question. How much. Now we're on to the next question. question #2. which is "can you ship to the US" And I'm waiting several days now for a response on question #2.

If he just had actual kits for sale on the website instead of always a 1 on 1 email contact thing. He could probably free himself up some more time to just make the stuff. And I wouldn't feel like I'm pulling teeth just to get an estimate and find out if they ship to the US.

Like "here's our b12 kit". "here's the price". Here's where you click to order... would be great. 

He didn't reply to my first email which was a series of questions. So I waited a week maybe more. And decided to try again only short and sweet this time. "Hello Dave. I have bandit. want turbo. how much?". To which he then replied 2150 ride in ride out. So now we're on to the next question. Can you ship...

Reckon I'm just being impatient. But if there was at least a price already listed I wouldn't have to bother him at all while I'm still deciding.