GS1150 Stator and Voltage Regulator

Spirit

As you seem to be in Trumpland you'll not get much feedback on that product from us in the 'free world'. I've not heard of specific problems with the stators except that they are underpowered! - RR's on the other hand fail easily - taking out batteries and then helping damage the stator windings. Optional devices are available or other OEM RR's can be adapted to work better than Suzuki san's offering! Search on here - been discussed many times!

Sorry to hear that those who may think they're in the "free world" aren't under just as much  threat as those of us caught within Trump's cult takeover of our government. 

But back to the actual item, as an adult. I had heard of problems long-term with the mighty 1150's electrical generating system.Were they just old wives tales? I've already looked into higher-powered stators. And I did look here - I just didn't find any authoritative statements; there's a lot to go through, or I thought, since we are a community, I'd just ask. Wrong thing?

The whole charging system is somewhat weak. "The stator papers" is a good place to get better picture of the issues. It's a pretty good collection of info in one place.

Based on my own experience I would say that stock stator isn't tha bad. So if it's ok I wouldn't touch it. I haven't seen any real evidence that aftermarket ones would be significantly better.

The regulators probably fail sooner or later. And when they fail they can take the stator as well. So in that sense it could be a good idea to uograde the regulator before it fails. The best option would be some series mode regulator. Either a Shindengen unit from some modern bike or aftermarket part. Shunt type regulators should be ok as well too if they are robust enough. I would prefer some modern OEM part over aftermarket replacements. 

But probably the most important thing is to check carefully all the wiring and connectors. If you upgrade the regulator then you can also disable that stupid light switch loop for one of the regulator phases.

A shunt regulator is "traditional" regulator type on bikes with permanent magnet generators. For example stock regulators on GS/GSX. It regulates voltage by loading the generator, conducting current to the ground if voltage tries go over the limit. Downside of this solution is that the generator runs at full load all the time which heats up the stator.

A series regulator is later type and it works by conducting just enough current from the generator to the system to keep voltage at desired level. So then the generator needs to produce only the current that the electrical system needs at any moment.

14 hours ago, Arttu said:

A shunt regulator is "traditional" regulator type on bikes with permanent magnet generators. For example stock regulators on GS/GSX. It regulates voltage by loading the generator, conducting current to the ground if voltage tries go over the limit. Downside of this solution is that the generator runs at full load all the time which heats up the stator.

A series regulator is later type and it works by conducting just enough current from the generator to the system to keep voltage at desired level. So then the generator needs to produce only the current that the electrical system needs at any moment.

So whit series regulator there would be less engine power lost to charging system?

Whit small gsx generator loss is not huge, but still there would be more usable power to move bike whit modern regulator :) If I understand correctly...

21 hours ago, gsx1100e said:

So whit series regulator there would be less engine power lost to charging system?

Whit small gsx generator loss is not huge, but still there would be more usable power to move bike whit modern regulator :) If I understand correctly...

Yep, on GSX maximum power saving would be around 200W (1/4 hp). In practice it would be even less. So difference in available power won't be very noticeable :)

But it will make bigger difference on stator temperature and also loading on wiring and connectors. Some guys on that other forum claim that they can see difference in oil temps as well but I highly doubt that...

2 hours ago, Arttu said:

Yep, on GSX maximum power saving would be around 200W (1/4 hp). In practice it would be even less. So difference in available power won't be very noticeable :)

But it will make bigger difference on stator temperature and also loading on wiring and connectors. Some guys on that other forum claim that they can see difference in oil temps as well but I highly doubt that...

I think this could be easy modification to improve reliability of charging system, heat is not good in wiring or connectors. 

Do you series regulator model  which works in gsx?

20 hours ago, gsx1100e said:

Do you series regulator model  which works in gsx?

-Shindengen SH775. Used at least on some Polaris ATVs. I think there are also other suitable Shindengen models used on various vehicles but don't remember exact details right now. Do your own googling ;)

-Compu-Fire 55402. Aftermarket option. https://compufire.com/compu-fire-55402-voltage-regulator-for-compu-fire-3phase-systems.html

-Possibly some of these: http://cycleelectricinc.com/RECTIFIER.html

4 hours ago, Arttu said:

-Shindengen SH775. Used at least on some Polaris ATVs. I think there are also other suitable Shindengen models used on various vehicles but don't remember exact details right now. Do your own googling ;)

-Compu-Fire 55402. Aftermarket option. https://compufire.com/compu-fire-55402-voltage-regulator-for-compu-fire-3phase-systems.html

-Possibly some of these: http://cycleelectricinc.com/RECTIFIER.html

Thanks arttu

8 hours ago, jensvonbustenskjold said:

This might be helpful http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/storagecliff/images/r-r_replacement.pdf

These guys has OEM replicas and a "race alternator" which produces 25A. Pricey... https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/Race_Alternator_Systems.html

300W Race alternator!

It is good to have options, perhaps there are some things to update before that. 

Link to that other site was also good.