pingel questions

philwright

Thinking about swapping the OE fuel tap on my 88J for a Pingel tap, still having problems which seem like fuel starvation and carbs not getting enough juice ,and although expensive it might be worth it to sort my probs out.

So looking at the Pingel dual outlet tap which is specified for my bike i dont see any provision for the vacuum pipe currently fitted to the OE tap which attaches to number 2 carb top, how do the carbs work with the Pingel in this case?...forgive my ignorance but they are vacuum fed arent they?

Mate, i've been through just about everything i can think of and still cant get it to run right, carbs have been stripped half a dozen times ,ultrasonically cleaned with new O rings and needle jets ,float heights are all correct...bike will start as normal from cold and runs with a bit of a stutter for 3 or 4  miles with no loss of power,  then when i slow down for traffic or traffic lights it will not pick up or rev in low gears, like its not getting fuel, if i leave it for half an hour or more its ok again until it repeats the problem...its doing my nut in, seriously thinking about taking it to a pro garage .

Edited by philwright
typo

Are you sure it's starved of fuel ? - check the fuel is being released by removing tank, attach a pipe to vac and suck - petrol should pour out of the 2 outlets - probably best you sit the tank over a big bowl, or fit pipe to the outlets and run them into a container...

The plugs will tell you if the motor is cutting out due to starvation  or by too much fuel. I've often thought I've had a lean condition and it's turned out to be rich, the plugs have told me that the motor is running rich - sooty ceramic.

Obviously, check the other things mentioned. 

Fuel starvation would happen  on wide open throttle not at traffic lights. I would check your tank vent. If it isn't venting it will do this. 

Also if you have a spare set of coils swap them out. Sometimes If there is a mild short in your ignition system it will get worse with heat. As the heat builds up so does the resistance. As the resistance builds so does the heat and so on. Let the bike cool down and the problem improves.

2 hours ago, philwright said:

Thanks for that, i will get a spare set of coils off the bay, the tank vent looks clear is there a foolproof way of checking that it is venting properly?..i noticed there isnt a vent pipe leading from the vent stub at the base of the tank ,but AFAIK there never has been one.

That's not the tank vent - its the filler cap / well overflow drain! Tank is vented via the filler cap - easy enough to dis-assemble and check...........or just ride around with the cap open for 5 - 10 miles if problem reoccurs then it ain't the tank venting - more likely coils breaking down!