HP injection pump killing battery

skelly

On 1/5/2019 at 8:51 AM, nlovien said:

sounds like there's a demand for a mod kit to fit a more efficient rare earth type alternator from a more modern bike 

also wondering if you could piggy back a 2nd alternator ? - once did this by using a housing from an engine that had an alt that wasn't direct on crank ( plenty options ) - made an adaptor plate to fit in place of sprocket cover and spun the alt. via a direct link to the front sprocket bolt - ok not much use when stationary but it did provide enough added juice when used in anger - could be using the 1st option - more modern alt would make this option better - - idea copied from some old school endurance bike set ups

As said before fit an outboard alternator from more modern bike, car or boat. There are some small units with good output, I need one but am waiting for someone to make one I can buy.

Cheers SRR

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 5:44 PM, Arttu said:

The price would be probably somewhere between 30-50 Euros. I need to check if I have anything ready or if I need to get a new batch of PCBs made. Won't affect to the price but lead time will be longer if I have to order stuff.

Finally remembered to check this. I have still few PCBs on the shelf. So if someone needs these I can make them pretty quickly.

@ArttuThat's cool.

However, for a start I am going to get my original stator rewound.

So far on my quest for knowledge I have found the following..

The only people that I would trust to rewind my stator are Rex's speedshop,  https://www.rexs-speedshop.com/ they are the only people who totally strip ALL the old insulation from the original stator and rewind it and test it.

They are also happy to add up to 10% more copper to the windings, this will help the generators output at low rpm but means that it will produce slightly less at high rpm.

Having looked at the rpm trace on my bikes datalogger its surprising how much time you spend under 5000 rpm in 'normal' road use.

This approach suits me as its a big torquey engine and the problems I was having were at low rpm.

When the stator comes back in the post I'll stick it on and run the bike with my new fuel pump.

While I'm at it I'm having the injectors cleaned and flow tested by these people https://www.fuelinjectorclinic.co.uk/

This guy really seems to know his shit and he also sends you a video of your injectors being flow tested.

As soon as I get it all built back up I'll run it and let you all know how it goes.

Cheers.

Skelly.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Righty..

Update time.

I have my freshly rewound stator back from Rex's.

My injectors back from being cleaned.

Adjusted valve clearances.

Changed oil & filter.

New fuel pump from McGill motorsport.

Cleaned fuel filter.

New plugs.

LED tail, headlight & clock bulbs.

Started fine and I must say it sound fucking fantastic.

Initial tests show it charging at 13.6 volts at 3000 rpm with the lights on..

Should be able to road test it in next few weeks.

My gut feeling is that it feels good..

Skelly.

• Like 5