Racing Skoal Blandit

Simbec1863

50 minutes ago, Simbec1863 said:

Thanks for the input,I'm running a rebuilt GSXR750 shock no budget for anything fancy yet.

MCT I think can rebuild the shock and not to bad price same cost as the practice day entry ? but try with what you have and see what it feels like

too soft spring, damper rate etc

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Simbec1863 said:

ACU test passed,bloody great morning at Mallory Park,mass practice start of 35 bikes was ace,still got the grin on my face :)

Overtook a few bikes with the front end vertical:),they were CB boat anchors mind....xD

Now need to get the bike sorted blown a fork seal.....oh well

9E8A4E9E-B721-48BC-9B02-42C89EF8C121.jpeg

Awesome mate.

• Like 1

New gloves arrived this week also ordered some new fork seals as one leg is weeping so that’s this weekends job sorted.

Track day the following Saturday to test the bloody thing and see if it stops,goes and tighten anything that might fall offxD

Getting excited now in between moments of WTF.....even one of the ACU instructors at Mallory said why are you going racing at your age.....9_9 I told him I love the smell of napalm in the morning he looked at me funny and walked off.

Well countdown has begun for sure,I’m missing the 1st round at Brands as I’m away with work but have already got my entries in for round 2 at Snetterton in April.Should be fun never even been there before so will be a baptism of fire.

Met most of the lads in the series at Mallory they seem like a good bunch,most of them are also older and way faster than me to.

I’ll keep posting updates as I go and try to give a feel for the ups and downs of an over 50’s racing novice,just need my orange bib and licence to come through now and I’m nearly ready....I think:(

Edited by Simbec1863
  • Like 2

Forks out and new seals fitted,just need to get some oil tomorrow and set the air gap.

Yamahaha fuel tap bought off eblag,rebuilt it and it fits like a dream,no leaks now have an on/off tap without the dreaded vacuum setup.

Stuck the battery back on and she fired up first time :banana:

6378310D-BD6E-490A-9623-F1B5CE55F9DE.jpeg

3091B3CB-4DED-4147-94CF-92800046C5FB.jpeg

Edited by Simbec1863
  • Like 3
On 2/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, Simbec1863 said:

Forks out and new seals fitted,just need to get some oil tomorrow and set the air gap.

Yamahaha fuel tap bought off eblag,rebuilt it and it fits like a dream,no leaks now have an on/off tap without the dreaded vacuum setup.

Stuck the battery back on and she fired up first time :banana:

6378310D-BD6E-490A-9623-F1B5CE55F9DE.jpeg

3091B3CB-4DED-4147-94CF-92800046C5FB.jpeg

What spacing is the Yam fuel tap Si and what was wrong with the Blandit one ??

@Rossco(Iceman Josros)The blandit one was knackered and passing fuel even when off,it was cheaper to replace than try to rebuild.

The R6 one gives me an on/off instead,and won’t flow fuel unless I want it to,also has an inline filter which is a bonus.

Didn’t measure it but think its 38mm from memory so it’s the same spacing as MK1 blandit,both R1 and R6 of the same era are supposed to fit.

Edited by Simbec1863

Forks set and back in today,drilled out the seized mudguard bolts and replaced with some stainless jobbies out my box of bits.

Tightened everything up and refitted the battery.Thought I should fire it up before I load the van for Donington tomorrow, you’ve guessed it the race bike curse has hit....fired up first time then went nuts revving like mad then petrol starts pouring out the vent hoses from the carbs... fucking bikes doing my head in now.

Turned off,fuel everywhere lucky I’m outside and not in the shed....cleaned it up and rinsed the fuel away from underneath the bike,and yes now I have no power,no idiot lights,won’t turn over it’s dead.

Looks like I’ll be using my road bike our I’ll lose my £120, so much for a track shakedown the thing doesn’t want to leave the garden.:(

Onwards and upwards I’ll do the track day on the slabby and sort the runt out another day only 6 weeks to the first race at Snetterton.

0D0E63B6-9570-479A-A29E-299D1C8812FF.jpeg

8D5FF43B-E416-4FE9-9857-9252D506C63B.jpeg

Edited by Simbec1863

As the runt let me down I went to Donington on the slabby so at least got some time on track, raced a few faster newer bikes beat a few of them and managed to outbreak myself and end up it the gravel trap to...thats 32 year old brakes for you and a distinct lack of talent....xD

Ordered a boat full of carb spares ready for the weekend, problem is when you try to save money it always comes back to bite you.

I'm off for a few days next week so plan to get the carbs off and strip and replace all the worn items, hoping the needle valves are knackered hence the fuel flowing issue.I know the float heights are ok as I checked them when I replaced the float bowl gaskets a few weeks ago.

If I can get this sorted I only need to work through the wire harness/connections/battery to understand why I have intermittent power and the runt won't turn over.

Also need to replace the bearings on the wets as these are knackered plus check the age and condition of said wets(plenty of tread not sure on how good they are)

Then if that's all done maybe she'll fire up and run then I can get a test in before my first race..:/

EN9I6783.jpg

Edited by Simbec1863
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Wilson said:

Good for you!  I started racing in 2000 at the age of 51 and I’m still at it. Currently, I’m prepping a 1985 Slabbie for the next season of racing and track days. It is so much fun to dive inside and take a young squid on his tricked out 600.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:07 PM, MeanBean49 said:

I have all the race kit if you get stuck and need to borrow owt/all of it

_DSC8454.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well got some carb rebuild kits from Japan,was home last week so started the carb strip down.

Stripped No4 carb and fizzy bathed, rebuilt with the shiny new parts and set the float height,3 more to do when I'm home again.New battery ordered today hopefully sorts the starting issue after petrol flooding over the old one killed it.Stripped off the harness and cleaned all the connections that I need for racing.Due to being overseas I won't make the Snetterton round as planned, so when I'm back at Easter I need to get the runt sorted before Donington,which will now be my first race meeting, and the first test of the bike full stop.The joys of trying to go racingxD

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Carbs back on,started fine and ran up ok with no leaks:).Went to run it through the gears and you’ve guessed it ignition killed immediately.

Well 24 hours fault finding and traced corroded wires in the side stand circuit,the stand is deleted for the race bike but the closed loop wasn’t passing enough current to keep the relay working.All done with a big hand from my sparky son :tu

Tomorrows jobs are to bolt everything back on, and give it a general check over then sort all the race kit out ready for next weekend need to do it now as I’m away Monday to Thursday in Sweden with work.

Starting to get real nervous now and I’m sure I’ll spend my first ever race weekend just trying to get the bike setup and running ok,as I’ve not been able to test it yet.

I’ve got 5 races to get things working then 3 weeks until Cadwell,I’ll do a race report once I’ve recovered  9_9

3E1B0DC5-76F0-41C5-ACC4-C98A422C97ED.jpeg

13913DFA-45AE-4301-8ACB-93FF634278E4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Back from the my first race of the season still buzzing :)

Entered the 4 Bandit challenge races and the newcomers race and managed to finish all without being last.

Took 3 seconds off my best lap time over the 2 days,now need to make some changes to the runt to get ready for Cadwell in 3 weeks time.Had a few challenges over the weekend getting the runt running ok but struggled through.Even saw 74bhp on the track dyno, must be my bulk slowing it down :D

A great bunch of racers at FPR made me feel welcome and looked after me and all my stupid questions xD

Big thanks to @Paulmfor the stickers and spare engine

7C3D198B-6990-4305-A9F6-0D7A2A3DD8A5.jpeg

9F2572F7-F3AF-4F19-A24D-1660547849B4.jpeg

83E88562-DD9D-45C9-B230-F7B7C6A67C00.jpeg

• Like 9