Gen. cover ID

1 hour ago, Simbec1863 said:

Looks like the one on my 1100 motor but maybe there are a few that look the same

6CD68388-2B24-40A5-9D9D-B8812AFCC702.jpeg

It looks pretty much as shallow as yours, Si!

37 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

All the 1100 covers swop ....the only odd one is a 1000cc Kat with the smaller genny windings ...but it still fits the cases :v

DONT USE A 750 cover if you want the engine to last more than 5 mins

I've tried a few 1100 covers on the cases, Clive. I know they swap over quite easily. But ... if I go for another case (not as shallow), I'll have to change rotor & stator (different mounting) = More money!

And, what's the story with the 750 cover demolishing the 1100 motor?

20 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

It looks pretty much as shallow as yours, Si!

I've tried a few 1100 covers on the cases, Clive. I know they swap over quite easily. But ... if I go for another case (not as shallow), I'll have to change rotor & stator (different mounting) = More money!

And, what's the story with the 750 cover demolishing the 1100 motor?

And you have measured the mounting positioning to confirm that have you .? 

1100 cover has a casting that seals off the end of the main gallery across the back of the motor. 750 oiling is different, and 750 cover doesn't have the casting, so 750 cover on 1100 results in all the oil pressure dissappearing into the end cover and straight back to the sump.

Can you post another shot of the inside of it but including all of the cover?

Also, can you measure the diameter of the register that the stator locates on? My Guess is that that's the small stator Kat cover.

Edited by Gammaboy

That's clearly an 1100SZ Katana generator cover as it is stamped 4930. ("493" means Katana specific part).

The rotor on an SZ Katana has a smaller diameter than the one on the "regular" ET. So I guess to suit both the smaller stator and rotor the different cover was needed. An ET cover will however fit onto a Katana engine, but I don't know if the stator will bolt up. (I'm not sure but I suspect the bolt PCD might be smaller. The subject has been discussed before on this forum or one of it's  predecessors, so a thorough search might be useful).

• Like 1

Arnout. You're right about the cover taking a smaller generator winding! Other ones I have won't fit, due to PCD being different. Right again! More clues are pointing to this mystery motor being a 1000 Katana. I believe Katana rods are stronger than std. and bear a specific code? Another clue? Are there any more  Kat only clues to determine its identity?

7 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Arnout. You're right about the cover taking a smaller generator winding! Other ones I have won't fit, due to PCD being different. Right again! More clues are pointing to this mystery motor being a 1000 Katana. I believe Katana rods are stronger than std. and bear a specific code? Another clue? Are there any more  Kat only clues to determine its identity?

Err I said it was a Kat 1000 motor back on the 10th nov 

but the Gurls blouse gearbox was not in it........:mr711:

• Like 2

493 rods are kat 1000 rods, but they will fit the 11 as well, theyre just beefier than the stock kat 11 rods. ive seen folks with engines putting 300bhp+ through 493 rods. sounds like youve scored a kat 1000 motor built into a set of 1100 cases. what cc is it running?

Edited by johnr