U704 Reduced Power

Swirl

22 minutes ago, Swirl said:

I have picked up a U704 1052 slabby bottom end with a bit of research it seems it's from France and West Germany with a reduced power output, how would this be done carbs/exhaust  is the bottom end the same as u703

Generally done with carbs and exhaust - easiest and cheapest.

Sometimes via ignition. Nothing in the bottom end with ability to restrict output (without major cost) so should be identical!

I know that the 1135 Ef was robbed of its power by the cams for some markets.

I have seen carb tops with limited stop ( extra moulding) to reduce power.

Most Japanese imports had a different CDI.

Those 3 would be the items I would check on the parts site,  to check were the difference between the country would be.

My 750G slabby is indeed JDM. Made 101bhp on the dyno so isn’t restricted. I’ve replaced the exhaust, fitted k&n pods and rejetted. The CDI part number matches the UK one. So, either a previous owner fitted the CDI or the restriction was in the exhaust/jetting or it was never there.

My old 750L was JDM too and was restricted. The CDI was different and had much smaller main jets. Easily sorted with a UK CDI and bigger mains.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banoffee said:

My 750G slabby is indeed JDM. Made 101bhp on the dyno so isn’t restricted. I’ve replaced the exhaust, fitted k&n pods and rejetted. The CDI part number matches the UK one. So, either a previous owner fitted the CDI or the restriction was in the exhaust/jetting or it was never there.

My old 750L was JDM too and was restricted. The CDI was different and had much smaller main jets. Easily sorted with a UK CDI and bigger mains.

My 750F has 1100G carbs with I think a stage 1 dynojet kit fitted many years ago,(a mod I did with help from a guy who raced one at the TT with support from Dynojet), standard filter and a fairly standard road exhaust - it read  I think 99 or 100 BHP on the last rolling road, so I presume it has a UK CDI - I will check though. Thanks

Edited by wsn03

What is the part number on your CDI please as I have an 85 GSXR750 that is an import and I would like to check it. I read some place that the only restrictions on the early GSXR's was an exhaust restrictor at the cylinder head area  that was easily removed. Can someone confirm or comment on this please.

8 hours ago, billd said:

What is the part number on your CDI please as I have an 85 GSXR750 that is an import and I would like to check it. I read some place that the only restrictions on the early GSXR's was an exhaust restrictor at the cylinder head area  that was easily removed. Can someone confirm or comment on this please.

Ill get the CDI part number tomorrow...we have the same bike.

I remember hearing the same as you and did find and bin the exhaust very restricted. 

What was in the exhaust  headers that acted as a restrict or that you removed? Look forward to getting the CDI part number, I will post mine here tomorrow as well.  I've also just modified  my accelerator pump Pistons to allow full stroke rather than just 1.5 mm as detailed under the post "Is my rod to long". It was suggested this also may have been a Japanese import  method of restricting power but not confirmed. 

My CDI part number is 32900-27AOO How does that compare to yours and more importantly how does it compare to a 198five UK market GSXR70F CDI #. If anyone one can respond it would be appreciated. The CDI unit also has a large "H" on its right hand side.

Edited by billd
wrong part # in original post
1 hour ago, billd said:

My CDI part number is 32900-27AOO How does that compare to yours and more importantly how does it compare to a 198five UK market GSXR70F CDI #. If anyone one can respond it would be appreciated. The CDI unit also has a large "H" on its right hand side.

20181207_113622.jpg

On 12/6/2018 at 7:12 AM, banoffee said:

@billd

My exhaust restriction btw was just in the size of the exhaust - I think it had like built restrictions that made the exhaust chambers very narrow, it was a case of just bin the whole system. It was 25 odd years ago so I don't remember very well

Edited by wsn03
On 12/6/2018 at 2:22 PM, billd said:

Also check for static compresion ratio ,first F model was with 9,8:1 but G/H models  was with slightly higher 10,6:1 ratio .

• Like 1