How important is the petrol overflow?

Jpich85

I’ve been modifying my tank over the wknd and after cutting the some of the bottom out I noticed I had to cut what I think is a baffle but after cutting that out I sliced through the overflow pipe that runs from the petrol cap to the bottom of the tank? I’m not sure if you actually need this or not so thought I’d ask? Could I remove it or will it need repairing? 

I wasn’t sure if they use these on like custom chopper tanks or not.

cheers

If you have a recessed petrol cap then the pipe is there to drain water away, if you don't have it then there is a good chance you will get water in your petrol tank. Bandit tanks suffer from this pipe rusting through and draining water into the tank, some owners just block the pipe at the top and bottom and carry on as normal, its not the right way but each to their own etc.

Thanks mate I don’t this bike will be out in the wet weather but I would like to repair it but if it’s not possible then I might have to block it, I can’t seem to find where it drains in the recessed petrol cap tho? So no petrol is actually meant to go through it? 

its vital. you might not want to go out in the rain but you cant help it sometimes, and any water that gets into the filleer cap recess if it cant get away down the drain will sit in the filler recess till you open the tank, then it will just fall into thee tank and contaminate the fuel and rust its way out the bottom of the tank.

11 hours ago, johnr said:

its vital. you might not want to go out in the rain but you cant help it sometimes, and any water that gets into the filleer cap recess if it cant get away down the drain will sit in the filler recess till you open the tank, then it will just fall into thee tank and contaminate the fuel and rust its way out the bottom of the tank.

Wow! - melodramatic - you are definitely 'a glass half full' type of person!

• Like 1
Guest YoshiJohnny
1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

He's right though

Aprilias and Triumphs have aluminium spigots attached to the tank for the drains and breathers... without proper maintenance they fur up and do exactly the stuff JohnR says...  of course if you only ride your bike when the sun is in the sky it won't matter unless you are constantly washing and polishing.. in which case ..... lol

Guest YoshiJohnny
4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

or blow it out before opening the tank. Most fuel stations have a tyre compressor you can use for that.

50p a time...... you are not from the North of England lol that could cost well into the ££££ over a year lol

Thanks everyone, unfortunately I don’t think I can get a good angle to try and weld it together and I thought about sleeving it but if it failed down the line all my time modding the tank would be wasted, I will have to remove it and be careful I think and inspect it now and then, I’m trying to do a tank mounted speedo but not sure if I can pull it off but I’m having fun trying lol.

i did think of brazing it but don’t have the tools, I’ll have to use por15 once I’m done too

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Jpich85 said:

Does anyone know if that baffle inside the tank is important?

Pics may help at this point ;)

You could sleeve the overflow pipe with some good fuel line, then and as you have welded the tank put some tank sealer (NOT Petseal it's shit)

8 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

i prefer 'been there done that, bought the tee shirt.' tanks rusting out from the inside due to water in the fuel are only the end destination of a longn frustrating journey that features poor running misfires and power loss and periodic stops at the side of the motorway when dusty rust from said tank clogs filters and jets on carbs, always on a wet night in winter on a sunday, or else five minutes after you start it on the only warm dry sunny summer weekend when you arent working.
my glass may be half empty, but whats in there doesnt contain water. but its your journey take your own route.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jpich85 said:

Thanks everyone, unfortunately I don’t think I can get a good angle to try and weld it together and I thought about sleeving it but if it failed down the line all my time modding the tank would be wasted, I will have to remove it and be careful I think and inspect it now and then, I’m trying to do a tank mounted speedo but not sure if I can pull it off but I’m having fun trying lol.

i did think of brazing it but don’t have the tools, I’ll have to use por15 once I’m done too

if the bottom is already out, then just remove the pipe and thread a new pipe through the tank in on piece and braise it in top and bottom before you seal the tank up again. no joins inside the tank then.

Thanks again everyone, I’ll post some pics on Sunday when I get back to the bike, does anyone know what that baffle thing inside the tank does? That’s a great idea johnr that would be the best way to fix the problem I think, do you know what type of pipe would be best to use? Not sure if it looked like stainless? 

If I sleeved it would you use jubilee clips not sure if that’s a good idea tho in case the cake loose lol

cheers