Opinion wanted: flatslides for the 1340

homer

Does anyone have opinion or experience to help me choose flatslides for my 1340. Goal is to get big fat torque curve without hurting the top end. Should I go with 38 rs? How about keihin fcr 39? Or is the 40mm rs only choice? At this moment I have stock head but porting will be done before assembly. I am not sure yet if camshafts will be replaced. 

You can't have both with simple carbs! If you want torque you have to achieve gas speed / depression through the venturi - usually by restriction so 36's or 38's will do it but you WILL lose top end - how much is debatable. At the other end WOT and max revs power needs big holes to gulp as much air as possible so 40's / 41's / 44's are the way to go but until you get to their working range ....... it'll be just ok!

EFI on the other hand doesn't need gas speed to pick up fuel and so will run considerably better and get torque with big holes! My 1460 idles and runs very nicely with 46mm TB's and makes close to 200hp and 100+ ftlbs of torque as a NA - it is a low comp turbo motor!