Worn Primary Drive Gear

gs7_11

On a GS1000, has anyone ever had a worn primary drive gear on the clutch basket? (I assume the same might be true on a GSX1100).

My clutch was getting a bit noisy (had a reconditioned basket in about 1999), so I fitted the entire clutch from my 1000S which is in bits. It's now much smoother and quieter.

The only difference I could find between the 2 clutches, apart from some wear on the plates, was a good bit more play in the primary drive gear, with some marking on the teeth of the gear on the basket.

Anybody come across this?

If we are talking about the same thing - there should be little or no discernible play on the primary gear which is mounted on the back plate and via rivets to the basket. There may be a little play via the shock damper springs although this should be minimised to prevent grabby operation and chatter.

• Like 1

Yep that's it.

There's no play in the springs, they're all the new heavy duty ones. The play us definitely in the gear itself. I was holding the gear while checking, not the basket.

The other one I've fitted is much better, what I'd expect for a pair of helical gears. The bad one has a definite clunk, and a visible movement at the circumference of the gear.

Like I said, I know it's worn and can see scuffing on the teeth.....my question is, how common is this?