• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the bike as a base for a non-faired machine and the TL-R radiator is really unsightly for that purpose. It's shaped for the fairing. I'm not using a fairing.  That, and I don't think the TL-R radiator is as good a fit as the curved aluminum  ones used on GSX-R's. 

TLR radiators are cooling the oil as well via a heat exchanger unit between the cases and the oil filter.

The TLR is packaged a bit tighter (I think the swingarms are the same length, but the R is an inch shorter in wheelbase) so there's not enough room for the TL1000S radiator between the front head, front wheel and frame rails, so the upper radiator is shorter (may be slightly narrower too?), and the lower radiator makes up for the lost area - the TLR has more total cooling capacity though given that it was intended to see more track time than the S.

If Suzuki did increase the cooling capability between the S and R versions, I would suggest 2 main reasons.

1. The R was intended to be more viable for racing and thus extra cooling would be needed.

2. Beam frames are known for restricting airflow over and around the engine and also for containing heat in the area. 

Bluedog, I think you might have something there, given the heat-retention problems that the TL-R has. That's one of the reasons why that air compressor rear shock didn't work so good; heat makes for a lousy work environment.  I'm planning on a bigger oil cooler than a TL-S and a TL-s radiator with a bigger fan. 

Stock TLS radiator is 21x38x3cm. They are specified for running in hot environments, partly clogged by dirt and so on. It's up to you how much cooling capacity you will actually need the way you ride.

Less width would certainly make them more crash proof, the stockers tend to get bent when the fairing pushes them in.

Nowadays most TLS run a bypass from the thermostat housing to the pump. It aids evenly warming up the cooling system, but after that it might cost flow and cooling across the radiator. Would be interesting to increase bypass capacity and fit and inverse thermostat. The shorter coolant route should 'bypass' the radiator until the thermostat closes the shortcut. That would leave all pump capacity flowing across the radiator without the usual thermostat obstacle..

I fitted a cagiva rad to this many years ago, there was a write up in the TLzone, I haven't got access there anymore but the info might still be there???

it didn't fit at first as it was tooo curved and stopped the forks turning at all, but I straightened it out a lot and it was all good...

it was deeper and slightly wider, I never had any over eating problems with it:tu

Geoff_tn_PICT0769.jpg

Edited by fatblokeonbandit