GSX-R cams in a GSX-F

scott-s

I've been reading about using the -R cams in the -F motors for a little more power. I've also been told (though I'm not sure I am completely on board with this one...) that the -R cams will help the CV carbs function better with pods. I'm working on a custom project and will HAVE to use pods. I'm OK with jetting, dyno tuning, etc.

I like that the -F cams give mid-range and torque. I wouldn't go with the -R cams just for bragging rights, but if there's a meaningful difference in power and tuning, I think it's something I can do for around $100.

Here's some information I've found. Please correct me if it's wrong or if there are other options, too.

Suzuki Katana 600 92-97 - GSXR 750 91-92
Suzuki Katana 600 88-91, 98+ - GSXR 750 88-90 (86-87 can be used, but the lobes have a smaller lift duration)
Suzuki Katana 750 (all years) - GSXR 750 88-90 (86-87 can be used, but the lobes have a smaller lift duration)

Since my engine is a '00 750F, I'd be interested in the '86-90 GSX-R 750 cams. That source also says that the '88-93 1100 cams are the same as the '88-89 GSXR-750 IN and '88 GSXR-750 EX cam.

I'll have the valve cover off son anyway for an adjustment and tune up. If I can find a set of cams for around $100, would you slap them in while you're in there?

Something else I saw in that write up has me scratching my head, too. I think it's just poor sentence structure, but give me a sanity check here...

They wrote: "Take the cam caps off put the IN and EX GSXR cams were the EX and IN Katana cams went.".

They're not swapping the cams IN to EX and vice-versa, are they? That doesn't make sense to me, but.... I'm a noob to this model and I don't know.

8 hours ago, scott-s said:

Something else I saw in that write up has me scratching my head, too. I think it's just poor sentence structure, but give me a sanity check here...

They wrote: "Take the cam caps off put the IN and EX GSXR cams were the EX and IN Katana cams went.".

They're not swapping the cams IN to EX and vice-versa, are they? That doesn't make sense to me, but.... I'm a noob to this model and I don't know.

I don't think they are swapping them, as you say doesn't make sense. Have you had a look at Frankenstein pages? Full of good info ;)

I've got the 1100f motor in my Kat with 38mm gsx r carb and I love the way it puts its power out :D Miss W gsxr1100 is quicker but it needs reving harder.

But also saying that, I will be putting a b12 motor with dot head and gsxr cams in the ET project (when I get on to it xD) but if I had some 1100f cams I'd put them in instead of the gsxr one's ;) I just like the bottom/mid range power of the f cams.

• 2 weeks later...

All cams (apart from shim adjustment ones) will fit all oil cooled engines in theory.  However fitting higher lift cams in some engines can either make the springs go coilbound or the upper retainer/collets hit the valve guide.  I had an 1100F/Powerscreen engine fitted with 750 J/K cams which was supposed to be good.  When I stripped it to check it out there was almost no clearance between the collets and guides and the inlet cams were coilbound at full lift.  You need to decide if you really need to change the cams and if you do change them then do the measurements - cam timing, valve to piston,  collet to valve guide.

• Like 4
  • 3 years later...