say what now!? 1100m carbs

Hello all, 

I'm looking for some advice on my 1100 gsxr I recently bought back from the guy I sold it to 11 years ago, it's running on three pots, no2 is off, took the carbs off and found the little pipe on the side that goes to the choke housing is broken off. My question is what the hell does that pipe do and would it stop the carb working? Also can you fit early 1200 bandit carbs to replace the originals? Any help would be much appreciated as I'm demented with it hahahaha

cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm shore there is something in Frankenstein pages about these pipes? Something about some being blanked off.

The b12 carbs are a 36mm (brain fade) are yours the 36mm or 40mm? If the 36mm you can drop them, may need to change/sell the jets, otherwise if the 40mm you really need the carb rubbers.

I understand it's an enrichment circuit for the choke

Should (have heard) only affect the starting circuit with choke on when it draws additional fuel shouldn't be a running problem but otherwise should be fixed (somehow???) Don't know how effective something like JB weld would hold up but they are swagged and glued in originally by looks

e.g. different carb but same principle

image.png.9416e96abc7468e103ea2b42aecb4652.png

Edited by Lachie04

Would have thought that would be easy enough to drill out the remains of the brass pipe in the casting and then push in the end of the existing pipe, glued in with something fuel resistant like Araldite.  You'd want to put the glue on the outside of the pipe before pushing it in, not in the hole, or else you'll block the pipe end with glue, obv.

Fyi JB Weld state:

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water,gasoline, and about every otherpetroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld. ... J-B Weld is not considered to be a conductor. It is an insulator.

• 4 months later...

I might be able to help you out with a carb to replace your one  ....

I have a 25 years + "hoard" of oil cooled parts and have spent the last week going through them as I needed a set of carbs for a 1987 slabside GSXR1100 that has spent the last 20 years in the garden shed,I went through all the carbs I have and found a partial set with the right spacing for the 87 1100 and after robbing other partial sets I've made a working set,i will look to see if I have a 40 mm carb spare that you can have if you still need one.

Sandro

16 minutes ago, CockneyRick said:

Unless they're 91/92 model bodies, they're not gonna be much use. 40's were only used on these years ;) 

I should have been clearer ... That "hoard" of mine has other GSXR carb/parts+ a friend of mine who emigrated to Austrailia in 2010 gave me all his "hoard" aswell, I have a 91 1100M here but it has 39 FCR's so I can't compare

9 hours ago, Nelson said:

You can fix them with Arildite (?) or that Gorrilla flue, same thing. 

Hold the pipe down in its original position with a zip tie & pour it over. 

Make sure it’s in its original position & let the stuff go off. 

This ^^^ occured to me, although i'd set it in place with some Gel Superglue then hit it with epoxy or chemical metal - Devcon or similar.

5 hours ago, Rochy111 said:

Thanks say what now!?  1460 and  Nelson gonna give a try with that jb weld 

Nice one, just make sure it’s ‘snug’ in it’s original position & held down tight with zip ties or whatever. That stuff is messy & you don’t want to be rearranging the position or getting the glue inside the pipe, so hold down twice, glue once. Good luck an Happy New Year