HPF1

So, most of you will be familiar with this bike, but there's been a bit of a change around, and I'm the new custodian.

Being a big fan of the current Oil cooled XR69s and team Force Harris F1 bikes, I'd long fancied building something myself. The final straw was following @Mole28down the pit lane at Donnington a couple of months back on his freshly built Magnum 2. 

A wanted add on here produced a couple of tempting offers of Harris Magnums, and a near miss on a facebook ad too.  I even looked at the Saxon engineering replicas, but didn't like the quality of some of those bits.

Then Gary @fatblokeonbanditdropped me a PM.   A quick viewing, and a price was agreed, lot's off projects and surplus parts were sold off, and yesterday I took a trip to the cosmic centre of the universe to collect this.

20180709_120505.thumb.jpg.702bf51b72c98ff22d8170ca24371fbd.jpg

20180709_120532.thumb.jpg.8763f275d61835c1b6e6781f03c010f8.jpg20180709_120543.thumb.jpg.720f6dcfd1d56685502b0111fd4aee88.jpg

So for those that don't know, it's a genuine Circa 1985 Harris Performance F1 frame and rear suspension, the tank is also a Harris F1 endurance spec Item but made later.

I'm told the bike originally was built for a GPz600 engine, is that right Garry? Later in the Mid Nineties  it was rebuilt as a road legal Streetfighter, though we believe never used, with a Gsxr750wp engine, and won a few shows.

Garry has configured it for an oil cooled engine, but stuggled to get clearance on the carbs for an 1100.

I intend to build it into a race bike, with a nod to a day light mot, and using it for the seting new course records on the West Bay TT.

Motor will be a 1052 board to 80mm with a worked head and cams, and rs40 flatslides. I have all the bits to build this motor, but need to mock it up and see what mods are needed to get it in the frame.

Running gear will be astralites, and probably 43mm GSXR 750j/k forks, with Maxton internals. If anyone has a good set of these forks let me know.  Body work will be a cut down XR69 tail, and either an RGB500 or Harris half fairing. The tank is beautifully made and very light, and never had fuel in it, but I'm not sure I like the shape, so may make a tank similar to the square low line tanks on the current iterations from Harris.

First job is to get the thing fully stripped, and get the paint chemically removed from the frame, and see what modifications and repairs are needed.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 16
29 minutes ago, dupersunc said:

So, most of you will be familiar with this bike, but there's been a bit of a change around, and I'm the new custodian.

Being a big fan of the current Oil cooled XR69s and team Force Harris F1 bikes, I'd long fancied building something myself. The final straw was following @Mole28down the pit lane at Donnington a couple of months back on his freshly built Magnum 2. 

A wanted add on here produced a couple of tempting offers of Harris Magnums, and a near miss on a facebook ad too.  I even looked at the Saxon engineering replicas, but didn't like the quality of some of those bits.

Then Gary @fatblokeonbanditdropped me a PM.   A quick viewing, and a price was agreed, lot's off projects and surplus parts were sold off, and yesterday I took a trip to the cosmic centre of the universe to collect this.

Photos or it never happened?!?!

Weren't most of those frames made for GPZ750 motors (F1 went to 750 in 1983)? I think the rear mounts for the GPZ 750 and GSXRs are the same. It is certainly feasible though that it was made around a GPZ600 motor, as then it would be eligible for F2 at the time (600 four stroke and 350 two stroke limit). Will be following this closely as it looks like a great project:)

I think you could be correct on the Gpz 750. The log book states it had gpz600 motor in 97 when it was road registered.  

The rear mounts aren't the same as the gsxr frames though.

IM000625.JPG.9d23676ffe518b0af95418702d2

IM000623.JPG.f3aee09acaac656920d117c5a8f

This is a friends F1, this has a good provenance, note the magnesium flat slides and big fin barrels, the head casting is different to.

Top rear engine  mount  is quite different.

Edited by dupersunc
  • Like 5

Why does your mate use the larger oil cooler on his bike as the head cooler, and the smaller cooler as the 'main' cooler? Or is there something there that we cannot see?:) I ask as I am going to use a small cooler in the seat as a head cooler (to appease my vanity as much as for any utilitarian purpose) on my bike.

18 minutes ago, cregnybaa said:

The gearbox output shaft and swingarm pin does not appear to be on a level plane ?. will this not cause problems.

Swing arm pivot position is a huge can of worms :D

The angle of the pic makes it look a little strange.  I'm pretty happy that it's in a good working position  

Once the frame is back from the blasters I'll build up the rolling chassis and empty cases with a base line ride height and head rake and take some measurement, and then analyse the geometry to se if I need to  move the swing arm pivot.   I don't want to move the,

swing arm pivot, but it's something I'm comfortable doing if I need to.

• Like 4