“Invisible” enginetuning

I have had an 1127L motor on the shelf for many years. I binned the bike it was in and ended up selling the rolling chassis. I kept it, because it made a rather silly 160Bhp on the dyno during a shootout. I didn’t know what had been done to it, nor did the previous 2 owners. 

It had stock carbs, airbox, the proper Yoshi Duplex exhaust but no other give aways to where the power came from. 

We recently took the engine apart @Kid Kearsley’s place and still didn’t find anything interesting. 

Can this power just have come from blueprinting, mild headwork and very good carb setup?

F5F0BB97-476D-4F82-9317-8A51AC936245.jpeg

1A2559EE-7595-43DC-AF3D-6B552A1188EA.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Rene EFE said:

It was a proper competition; amongst others, a RSV-R made 135, 2 R1’s made a good 140 and the shop’s ZX10 superbike made 189, which all sound about right for the time. 

What sort of Dyno was it?

The numbers sound high to me. I don't recall rsvrs making that much & early carbed r1s didn't make 140's either. Unless they were at the crank which is usually a theoretical number open to manipulation. 

• Like 2

My mates rsv  tuono after being set up on slick bass's dyno with a power commander etc made 118 bhp which given its the same engine as the Mille would lead me to believe you've got a very optimistic dyno.  160 bhp usually involves a 1216 at the least

Guest YoshiJohnny

most bikes that go to Slick come back making less than they did when they went... Tenkate let him go after a few days when he went to work for them after Foggy packed in...

I used to get 128 bhp at the wheel from a standard RSV/Mille with cans and a power commander

Edited by YoshiJohnny
11 hours ago, Madb said:

sorry to disapoint rene but carbed r1's don't make a good 140 unless fettled. norm for them is 121 ish at the back wheel.

Sounds like the dyno had been put on "pub bragging" correction. All those figures sound way way above what you would expect to see.