Et to katana conversion

On 7/1/2018 at 10:48 PM, R1guy said:

Does anyone have any detailed drawings/diagrams of the bracket that the faring bracket fixes to the frame at its lowest point?

Perhaps someone has, but not me. I can however provide some insight on using an ET/EX frame for Katana use.

To accept the Katana bodywork (fairing, tank, seat, tail, side panels) all mounting points need to be modified as as they're all different and in different locations. For the lower fairing subframe mounting point I made these instead of trying to copy the original katana ones:

skizzokat-fair-fr-mounts.jpg

On the headstock you'll also need to add mounting points to attach the upper part of the fairing frame onto.

Here's a picture of my GSX750EX frame with the added bodywork mounting points beside various other mods:

skizzokat-frame-paint-1.jpg

Because of the intrusive bracing around the headstock I decided to keep the stock front tank mounting points and alter the points on tke Katana tank itself instead.

What further sets the Katana frame apart from ET/EX frames beside the obvious passenger peg supports welded to the frame, is the angle of the subframe. On a Katana this section is swept up slightly compared to a regular GSX frame. The subframe tubes will just peek out from under the Katana tail if not modified.

Both the seat lock and bracket it is fitted to also differ. I managed to reuse the old EX/ET lock, but only because of adding a cable operation to it and omitting the key hole in the tail panel.

8 hours ago, arnout said:

Perhaps someone has, but not me. I can however provide some insight on using an ET/EX frame for Katana use.

To accept the Katana bodywork (fairing, tank, seat, tail, side panels) all mounting points need to be modified as as they're all different and in different locations. For the lower fairing subframe mounting point I made these instead of trying to copy the original katana ones:

skizzokat-fair-fr-mounts.jpg

On the headstock you'll also need to add mounting points to attach the upper part of the fairing frame onto.

Here's a picture of my GSX750EX frame with the added bodywork mounting points beside various other mods:

skizzokat-frame-paint-1.jpg

Because of the intrusive bracing around the headstock I decided to keep the stock front tank mounting points and alter the points on tke Katana tank itself instead.

What further sets the Katana frame apart from ET/EX frames beside the obvious passenger peg supports welded to the frame, is the angle of the subframe. On a Katana this section is swept up slightly compared to a regular GSX frame. The subframe tubes will just peek out from under the Katana tail if not modified.

Both the seat lock and bracket it is fitted to also differ. I managed to reuse the old EX/ET lock, but only because of adding a cable operation to it and omitting the key hole in the tail panel.

Perfect!!! Just what I needed

• 3 weeks later...