I just got the shaft!

Got the 1000 out for a road test yesterday.  Slapped an old 4 into 1 ("Dunstall Power" it says) on that I used to have on my 750 for the time being.  Bike starts instantly, even when cold.  Idle is fine, does not hang when blipped.  On the road I noticed a bit of a flat spot between 5-6k which it does pull through and is likely caused by the pipe.  So,... some jetting in my future.  Maybe a clutch too, as I felt it slip once (I think).  I recovered the rats nest of a seat myself, and it doesn't look too shabby,... in a dark room, with your sunglasses on.

IMG_20180723_214355.jpg

• Like 2

All sounds good (y) in the pic seat looks ok to me ;) if it's a small carb blip around 5-6rpm try lifting the needles one groove ;)

The clutch may just be the cable, just put a new cable on my GS as it was doing all sort of bad things (sloping and draging) had cleaned the cable but no joy so put a new one on and all is good :)

When are the new wheels going on? :)

• Like 1

Thanks wraith.  I thought it might be the needles, as that is about where they would come into play.  I will try that.  I am hesitant to pull the carbs outta the intake boots, as they don't look to healthy.  They aren't leaking, but tugging and fighting a rack of carbs back and forth in there would probably do them in.  So,.. stock rubbers and o-rings or upgrade to B-12 stuff... decisions.  I will definitely snag a clutch cable and try that.  Been years since I've owned anything with a clutch cable.  Also trying a couple of engine oil flushes, as PO might have ran car oil with Moly additive in there at some point.  Who knows?  Seat has a big gap at the back where it (doesn't) meet the tail piece.  Foam was stock, so not too sure what's going on there.  May have to toy with tailpiece mounting to clean that shit up.  I have everything here to put the rear wheel assembly in, but haven't bought the front stuff yet.  I will get there.  Hopefully get out tonight for a squirt and decide what to tackle next.  (y)

• Like 1

Sounds good :)

I'm using b12 (mk1) carbs and rubbers with k&n filters, the rubbers bolt start on but the GS1000 cv ports are not quite as big but they still run well without taking any meat out of the ports if you don't want, if I remember I have the needles set in the centre with 144 main jets and kept the pilots as standard. 

The carbs are a very snug fit but with some pushing they fit :D I did have to get a longer cable as the standard b12 ones are a bit short but I'm also using bandit switch gear ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, pipes are waiting to get picked up.  New gas piggybacks as well.  I did the same as wraith and went with the Delkevic stainless header and link-pipe.  I have a bunch of assorted mufflers laying around here and will have to fab something up.  I have been putting some miles on the bike and have decided, ergonomic-wise, to go with superbike bars and rearsets.  Can anyone tell me if the GS1000G models have the same footpeg mounts as the chain driven models?  Can't find a rearset listing for the G.  Wraith, what do you have on your bike for rearsets?  Oh, I know you like pictures.  Pic is from yesterday, visiting my Mom.

IMG_20180806_162145.jpg

Edited by brooksy
  • Like 3

No I think the gs850/1000g had different foot peg mounts to the chain drive.

I'm using Raask rear sets for the G, but I got them other 20 years ago when I first got my G ;) I don't know if you can still get them anymore. If it helps i can take a pic of the Raasks tomorrow and you could make some out of some steel or aluminium plate?

Bike looking nice (y) and yes sportbike bars (y)

Edited by wraith
Add a bit

Thanks wraith.  I was worried about the mounts.  Afraid that they were different.  Was actually looking at the Tarozzi setup.  Pretty pricey though.  A moot point if they won't fit anyway.  I would love some pics to help in the fabrication.   What bike did you source your pillion pegs from?  GSXR?  My bike is amazingly stock for a 38 year old bike, right down to the blinkers and the reflectors.  I real survivor/time capsule.  The GS Resource guys would have a meltdown with my plans to modify.  Oh well,... :)

Edited by brooksy
Can't spell
  • Like 1

Pics for you ;)

IMG_20180809_151209.thumb.jpg.4514c84c20764ce1794c367989a748f5.jpgIMG_20180809_151347.thumb.jpg.693a3d215b968b6ee7448cf1585ff7bc.jpgIMG_20180809_151228.thumb.jpg.e9a82d46cd5caae448131904c5b17c95.jpgIMG_20180809_151246.thumb.jpg.3424523ca6291dd6dcbad7c7863ee29e.jpgIMG_20180809_151301.thumb.jpg.6d376481d4f78bec8ee94e9ffee86210.jpg

top two pics are of the left side foot plate, they use one of the standard foot peg bolt holes and the bottom bolt hole on the top rear engine mount.

the next two are of the right hand side xD use's the same bolt hole arrangement as the left hand side. You could get some gsxr foot peg hangers that are small say like srad onwards and make a adaptor plate for them to bolt to using the standard foot peg bolt holes? 

As to the rear pegs don't know what there off sorry.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics, wraith.  I'm sure I can sort something out.  I once built a set of alloy adapters to move the pegs down a bit on one of my old gsxr's, so this should be similar.  I am heading out on the GS for a 3 day trip with friends at the end of the month, so the push is on to get at least some things sorted out.  

Dorkburger,... I know not all of the GSR guys are naysayers.  It is full of good folks and useful information, actually.  I've been a lurking member there for many years.  However, when someone posts a pic of a stockish bike with plans to modify (or asking for help in the same), they are often shouted down by purists that must love crap brakes and damper-rod forks.  That said,... this old GS handles pretty good.  I think all my old ones spent some time in a hedge.  They were dodgy.

Wraith,.. Love your bike!

Edited by brooksy
  • Like 2