Cylinder head temp sensor

Maxxii

I've got the engine and clutch swapped. And put a koso clock on her. The clocks came with 2 temp sensors. I was thinking of mounting 1 of the temp sensors to the cylinder head, and use the other as an air temp sensor. 

Is there a part of the cylinder head that I should mount the temp sensor too? 

I'm not looking for a bang on perfectly accurate reading. But more of a general over all temp. 

I thought I'd jbweld the sensor in place. How does this sport look? What do you fellas think? 

20180622_165653.jpg

20180622_165700.jpg

20180622_165706.jpg

20180622_165727.jpg

20180622_170402.jpg

Not sure how successful JB weld will be as being primarily plastic it will insulate to a degree, also the tip of the sensor should ideally contact that which it is reading. Q - are the sensors both the same? Senders of that type are fairly slow response types and ideal for fluids - not air. Air temp sensors need to be fast response types or they are pointless.

If it were me i'd drill and tap a bolt in the head and mount one sender there and the other in the sump - same mounting or direct into a thick bit of the casting ...............that'll give useful data.

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Not sure how successful JB weld will be as being primarily plastic it will insulate to a degree, also the tip of the sensor should ideally contact that which it is reading. Q - are the sensors both the same? Senders of that type are fairly slow response types and ideal for fluids - not air. Air temp sensors need to be fast response types or they are pointless.

If it were me i'd drill and tap a bolt in the head and mount one sender there and the other in the sump - same mounting or direct into a thick bit of the casting ...............that'll give useful data.

I had no idea that jb weld was mostly plastic. 

Both of the sensors are the same 

I don't really need the readings to be perfectly accurate. I just want to set an over temp warning on the koso clock so that I don't over do it. I can adjust the warning setting to what ever I want. So if the temp sensor is insulated, I can simply lower the warning level. So I can kinda calibrate for that. 

I don't want to drill into the casting if I don't have too. Even though it's aluminum, I don't have the right drill or bits to do it right. Might there be an auxiliary oil port or something that i can tap into? I don't mind drilling into a blocked off auxiliary oil port. But not into the actual cylinder head. 

I'll measure the sensors when I get home. 

Ideally, I'd be monitoring cylinder head temp, and oil temp coming out of the radiator. 

14 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Well there is one suitable bolt / screw that's already started - 4No on the sides of the head! And if you are cooking the engine its just natures way of telling you to ride faster or get out of traffic LOL!

Which ones on the side of the head? I don't know which one you're referring too. 

And is there anything in the sump other than the drain plug I can replace with a temp sensor? 

17 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Well there is one suitable bolt / screw that's already started - 4No on the sides of the head! And if you are cooking the engine its just natures way of telling you to ride faster or get out of traffic LOL!

Oh, you mean the one in that bolt in my first picture? Is it safe for me to take out that bolt and tap it? It's not gonna let something loose in the valve train, is it? 

2 hours ago, Maxxii said:

Oh, you mean the one in that bolt in my first picture? Is it safe for me to take out that bolt and tap it? It's not gonna let something loose in the valve train, is it? 

Nope - it's there to block the hole used in the factory to line bore the camshaft bearings. Lots of people myself included use them to feed additional oil to the cams - as std. it's a blank plug with a hex to tighten it

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Nope - it's there to block the hole used in the factory to line bore the camshaft bearings. Lots of people myself included use them to feed additional oil to the cams - as std. it's a blank plug with a hex to tighten it

So I can pull it out, tap it for my sensor, and put it back in? Or pull it to add oil line. Great! That solves my first temp sensor placement. 

Where do you normally get the oil lines from? What I mean is if you use those points to feed more oil to the cams, where do you get oil pressure from? And could I use that for the second sensor?