GSF 1250 swinging arm anyone used one?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys, I've taken the plunge and bought a 1250 arm for a very reasonable price (£1)   so since I have a B12 wheel with a 20 mm spindle I need a different wheel with a 28mm spindle so have been looking at a few and I've found one I like from a GSXR 600 K6.   But was wondering how strong it is as it has 3 quite thin spokes, will it take the weight of me and a GSX1100?   Has anyone used a newish ( thin spoked) wheel on an old bruiser or am I worrying over nothing?

I think a wheel swap is easier and cheaper than trying custom bearings and spacers for my current wheel , not to mention having to reduce the size of the slots in the swinger for the smaller spindle what do you think.

Cheers again.

• 2 months later...

Huge747 - Can you confirm the exact items you have fitted please so I can compare. I've not gotten around to doing the conversion yet I'm waiting for the winter to take it off the road.

I decided to stick with the B12 wheel and had some top hat spacers from 28mm to 20 mm made for the spindle and have had one brake side spacer made but I need the caliper carrier skimming down by about 5mm overall as the wheel is 5mm too near to the chain side to be central, thats as far as I've got.

alignment.JPG

alignment1.JPG

• Like 1

not to rain on your sunny day but centering the wheel in the swingarm  and having spacers made to suit is not the best idea...….you will need to align the front and rear wheel before you think about spacers and chain run …...so step 1 :  wheel alignment   2 : spacers  3 : chain run

• Like 2

I have assumed that with the swinging arm centred in the frame and the rear wheel aligned with the centre of the swinging arm pivot it would be in line with the front wheel, is that not correct?

I'm not centering the wheel in the swinging arm at the wheel end but at the pivot end. I wanted to get it central and then at the end sort out the chain run.

2 hours ago, NorthernBloke said:

I have assumed that with the swinging arm centred in the frame and the rear wheel aligned with the centre of the swinging arm pivot it would be in line with the front wheel, is that not correct?

I'm not centering the wheel in the swinging arm at the wheel end but at the pivot end. I wanted to get it central and then at the end sort out the chain run.

Due to chain clearance the wheel mostly isnt central in the arm. 

Like no class mentioned, first step is to get the front and rear rim inline and mock up spacers for that. 

Getting chain run correct is usually about fitting an offset front sprocket and slimming down the rear sprocket carrier.

Sometimes it can be an option to offset the rear wheel to get the chain right but general consensus is not more than 1cm ... hence the mock up spacers

Anything more looks like a bodge and  will curse you for the rest of your life and give your cats 15 toes ;)

• Like 4

This pic shows the first sving arm I made. No extension to the Bandit sving arm. I have moved the original GSX shock absorber mounts to the Bandit svingarm. 

Distance from fwd sving arm pivot to gearwheel axis :

Std GSX :       appx 51 - 56 cm

Std bandit :   appx  53,5 - 56 cm

Ext Bandit : appx 57 - 50 cm

Rgds Henrik

IMG_1302.JPG